arts community events

Mythical beast Krampus to visit Bloomington this Saturday

Dozens of people dressed up in Krampus costumes paraded down Madison Street for the Krampus Rampage and Baazar in December 2017. This year's Krampus Bazaar will begin at 5 p.m. Dec. 1 at the Showers Common on 401 N. Morton St.

Imagine being a small child in Alpine Europe in the 17th century. Now imagine a tall, hairy beast with long horns coming to dole out a punishment for being naughty rather than nice during the holidays. The mythical monster that gives punishment is the Krampus, and many people dressed as the beast will visit Bloomington on Dec. 1, according to Visit Bloomington’s website. 

The Krampus Bazaar is a celebration with various activities and will begin at 5 p.m. at the Showers Common on 401 N. Morton St. The bazaar will feature activities such as a sack race, Krampus mask crafting, and Krampus goods for sale. There will also be concessions from numerous food trucks.

During the bazaar, the Krampus Rampage will begin at 6 p.m. at Fourth Street. and the B-Line trail. During the rampage, the Krampus beasts will arrive to march through the streets of Bloomington and find the naughtiest attendees to punish on their way — bad behaviors have bad consequences, according the website. 

The event is free for all to attend and more details regarding the best place to see the Krampus, rules for attendance and further history of Krampus can be found on the Visit Bloomington website.