INSTANT RECAP: IU men's basketball cruises to victory in exhibition game

Sophomore forward Clifton Moore grabs the ball away from University of Southern Indiana freshman Glen Rouch on Nov. 1 in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. IU defeated USI, 96-62. 

* FINAL: IU beats Southern Indiana 96-62.

As expected, it was an easy win for the Hoosiers.

A particularly active night on defense from Romeo Langford saw the freshman finish with five rebounds and four steals, while on offense he had 13 points and five turnovers.

Rob Phinisee also had 13 points to pace the IU offense, and he too was aggressive when defending, but also had three rebounds and four assists in his first public game against a college opponent.

The Hoosiers went 11-22 on 3-pointers in the game, improving in the second half to go 8-12 from downtown.

Southern Indiana kept the game to about a 10-point deficit for most of the first half, but then even as the Screaming Eagles began to shoot better from the field, IU's barrage of 3-pointers allowed the Hoosiers to pull away. Southern Indiana' leading scorer was senior Nate Hansen with 13 points.

* At the under-4 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 83-53. Shooting from 3-point land has bolstered the IU offense in the second half as Southern Indiana has also gotten more comfortable shooting the ball.

Ten different Hoosiers have scored in the game, with Romeo Langford and Rob Phinisee both having 13 points.

* At the under-8 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 71-47 as the FLAGS happen on the Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall court.

Jake Forrester has checked into the game for IU and scored two points on a hook shot off the backboard.

IU's defense has been slacking just a bit in the second half with Southern Indiana shooting 11-21 from the field, which is better than 50-percent.

De'Ron Davis checked out of the game for the Hoosiers with a bit of a grimace on his face, but remains on the bench.

* At the under-12 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 62-39. A barrage of 3-point shooting from the Hoosiers has extended their lead. Damezi Anderson and Evan Fitzner both connected on looks from downtown as IU has fared much better shooting from distance than it did to start the game.

Jake Forrester still without an appearance for IU tonight.

* Southern Indiana's Josh Price, who led the Screaming Eagles at halftime with eight points, has fouled out of the game. He guarded Juwan Morgan for most of his time on the court.

* At the under-16 timeout IU leads Southern Indiana 49-32. Not a super sharp start to the second period from the Hoosiers, but a 17-point lead isn't in any danger.

Al Durham is back on the IU bench, but did not participate in warmups for the second half. Johnny Jager and Clifton Moore have also seen just a bit of a playing time, although none yet for Jake Forrester. Jerome Hunter was ruled out injured before the game for the Hoosiers due to a foot injury.

* Adjustments are being made at halftime to the rim IU was shooting on during the first half, as it appeared a bit loose.

* HALFTIME: IU leads Southern Indiana 39-20.

IU's leading scorer is Rob Phinisee with 10 points, the only Hoosier player in double-digits. Phinisee has also been aggressive on defense for the Hoosiers and has three rebounds and two assists in 18 minutes of play.

Elsewhere, Romeo Langford has six points and three rebounds and steals each, but also three turnovers in his first public game against a college opponent.

Justin Smith had a quick seven points for IU, but didn't score the rest of the half, while Evan Fitzner has seven points as well in his IU debut, including a sweet 3-pointer in IU's final possession of the half.

Al Durham left the IU bench near the end of the first half with an apparent injury.

Southern Indiana is led in scoring by Josh Price with eight points, but as a team the Screaming Eagles are shooting just 7-28 from the field.

* Al Durham has left the game for IU and gone to the locker room. The Hoosiers are already without Jerome Hunter, Devonte Green and Race Thompson tonight due to injury. Potentially more playing time for Rob Phinisee if Durham is unable to return.

* At the under-4 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 25-15. All of IU's scholarship players have seen the court except for Clifton Moore and Jake Forrester. The Hoosiers have struggled a bit from the free-throw line, going only 4-8 from the charity stripe.

Southern Indiana has kept the game to a around a 10-point deficit, but is shooting just 5-23, or 21.7-percent, on field goal attempts.

* At the under-8 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 21-10. Evan Fitzner has scored his first points with the Hoosiers on a drive and layup after checking into the game.

* At the under-12 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 15-8. A variety of Hoosiers have seen playing time, including De'Ron Davis. Romeo Langford has four points and three steals in seven minutes of playing time for IU, while Justin Smith leads IU with seven points.

* At the under-16 timeout, IU leads Southern Indiana 9-3. Justin Smith has seven point for IU, including a dunk and a 3-pointer. Romeo Langford also had a steal and breakaway dunk after a slow start on offense from the Hoosiers.

* After missing two free throws earlier, Justin Smith makes a pair. USI leads 3-2 at the 16:57 mark.

* Tip-off at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall.

* Large contingent of Southern Indiana fans in Bloomington tonight. Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall is about half full.

* Starting lineups for tonight's game are below.

* The Screaming Eagles are a NCAA Division II team competing in the Great Lakes Valley Conference.

* Hello and welcome to tonight's live updates page for the IU men's basketball team's only exhibition game of the 2018-19 season against Southern Indiana.