sports tennis

Jelly Bozovic sweeps singles in IU's final fall tournament

IMG_9282.JPG

In the team’s final fall tournament, IU Coach Ramiro Azcui sent the younger half of his team to participate in the three-day Western Michigan Super Challenge in Kalamazoo, Michigan. 

Junior Anna McCoy, freshman Somer Henry and sophomores Jelly Bozovic and Michelle McKamey were four of the eight Hoosiers that made the trip to compete against Western Michigan, Ball State, Cleveland State and Lewis University. 

Bozovic had the most success in singles as she went a perfect 3-0. She started out with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Sarah Swiderski of Ball State, then a 6-2, 6-3 win over Gaby Schoenberg of Cleveland State and finally a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Peyton Gollhofer from Ball State.

In doubles, Bozovic teamed up with McCoy and the duo went 2-1. Henry and McKamey also teamed up, but the tandem struggled to a 0-4 record, with two of the four matches going to tiebreakers.

The Hoosiers picked up three other singles wins in addition to Bozovic’s, which included two victories from McCoy and one from McKamey. Much like the other three fall tournaments, this Super Challenge did not feature any team scores.

Due to the NCAA rulebook, Azcui won’t be able to have team practices until after Christmas break. So, the team will only have about two full weeks of practice before participating in the Indiana Winter Invitational from Jan. 19-21.

No team scores will be kept at that competition, but dual match play begins Jan. 26 for IU against Xavier and Cincinnati, which marks the beginning of the regular season.