student life

Dia de los Muertos event brings Latino community together

Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) 2018

At such a large campus, it can be hard for students to keep in touch with their cultural identity. 

For some, a part of their identity includes celebrating the Mexican holiday, Dia de los Muertos. Traditionally, this holiday involves making ofrendas, private altars for deceased loved ones, and visiting their graves with offerings of aztec marigolds and the deceased's favorite foods and drinks.

Senior Marina Fernandez said she recalls childhood memories of celebrating Day of the Dead with her family.

“My favorite thing celebrating Day of the Dead growing up was my mom always put a cigar up for my grandpa because when he was alive he loved to smoke,” Fernandez said, “It’s just those little things that bring back memories of those who have died and bringing them back to life is what the whole Day of the Dead is.”

Not all Mexican-Americans celebrate the holiday, and it can be especially hard if a student is away from home. For junior Brenda Díaz, attending a Dia de los Muertos event at La Casa Latino Cultural Center gave her a new chance to celebrate the holiday.

"When I first came here as a freshman it was really nice because I got to learn more about my culture,” junior Brenda Díaz said. “Everyone gets really excited about it. It’s a way to get the community back together.”

Each year, La Casa organizes a Dia de los Muertos event to honor the holiday and allow students of all backgrounds to join in on the celebrations.

“One of the reasons we really do it is it has some of the basics that a lot of the Latino cultures have and that’s a celebration of family, a celebration of culture and community,” Casillas-Origel, director of La Casa, said.

Casillas-Origel said students, both Latino and non-Latino, were encouraged to attend the event to learn more about Dia de los Muertos and to gain a new perspective on this tradition.

“We’re creating an excuse for people to come in and not only to celebrate and be part of a community with us but also an excuse to come and to see that this is for everybody," Casillas-Origel said.

The Dia de los Muertos event works to bring multiple cultures together and celebrate a unifying identity.

“A lot of times people of color have a hard time finding their niche at the University,” Fernandez said. “There’s not a lot of authentic experiences out here in Bloomington, so Day of the Dead is one of the events that really focuses on family.”

La Casa partnered with other culture centers including, the LGBTQ+ Cultural Center, First Nations Educational and Cultural Center and the Canterbury House to celebrate the holiday and spread awareness for lives lost due to cultural discrimination and other tragedies.

“It’s a big old family reunion," Casillas-Origel said. "Even if you’re not Latino a lot of cultures celebrate our ancestors, this is just one way.”