sports tennis

Women's tennis wins 12 total matches at Alabama Classic

spiuwtiowapreview032818.jpg

After almost a month of no competition, the women’s tennis team returned to the courts this weekend as part of the Alabama Classic. 

One week ago, Oct. 11-15, IU Coach Ramiro Azcui sent junior Caitlin Bernard and seniors Natalie Whalen and Madison Appel to Chattanooga, Tennessee, to compete in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Ohio Valley Regional Championships. But this past weekend was the first time the full team played since the Hoosier Classic on Sept. 28-30.

Over the two-day tournament, Appel and Whalen highlighted the singles competition by each going 2-1. Over the three fall tournaments, Appel and Whalen, the team’s only seniors, have gone a combined 12-4 in singles play.

Appel also teamed with sophomore Jelly Bozovic in doubles and the duo won two of its three matches. 

Overall, six of the seven Hoosiers that competed in singles picked up at least one victory. 

Doubles was a different story. IU struggled and went a combined 3-9. With plenty of time before dual match play begins, Azcui is just trying different combinations to see which ones work best. 

The Hoosiers will have one more fall tournament – the Western Michigan Invitational on Nov. 2-4 – before taking two months off prior to the start of the regular season in January.