sports men's soccer

Palazzolo proves versatile for IU men's soccer

IUvsUM_3.jpg

A.J. Palazzolo took a deep breath when talking about the start to his career within the IU men’s soccer program.

In 2015, the National Soccer Coaches Association of America selected him as the high school boys' National Player of the Year. He was also ranked the 33rd player in the country by the IMG Academy 150.

Palazzolo appeared in 10 matches off the bench his freshman season. He took 11 shots and had a pair of assists in 196 minutes of action. In that 10th appearance, IU was matched up with No. 20 Virginia Tech in the third round of the NCAA Tournament on Nov. 27, 2016.

He already had a shot registered in the match as the Hoosiers were searching for the winning goal before overtime struck. With four minutes and 33 seconds remaining in the second half, Palazzolo slid into a Virginia Tech defender as he made a play for the ball.

Once Palazzolo collided with him, he immediately laid on the ground curled up in a ball. He was in that position for 12 seconds before an official blew a whistle to stop play and allow medical attention.

He rolled back and forth from his back to his left shoulder, screaming in pain, holding onto his right knee. Palazzolo then laid flat on his back with his hands behind his head. His red long sleeve undershirt covered his elbows as they pointed toward the sky while the IU medical staff massaged his knee.

Luckily for Palazzolo, he only suffered a sprained MCL and was able to play in the spring season. But, he endured a far worse injury just months later. In the first summer practice back for the 2017 season, Palazzolo tore his ACL.

“It was pretty devastating being out,” Palazzolo said.

Palazzolo had to redshirt the 2017 season. From the sidelines, he watched IU make it all the way to the National Championship game and lose to Stanford 1-0 in double overtime.

Despite not being able to contribute on the field, Palazzolo didn’t allow the season to go to waste.

He focused on the small details of being a student athlete such as dieting, sleeping and treating his body better. Everything he learned from being sidelined prepared him for the following season as he was in line to contribute even more than he did his first time around.

“Just seeing those guys make it all the way to the National Championship last year gave me that extra motivation coming into this year,” Palazzolo said.

Palazzolo presented IU Coach Todd Yeagley with a unique opportunity heading into the 2018 season. Most players don’t switch their positions in college, but Palazzolo excelled at multiple positions on the pitch, giving his coach the option to move him around.

Palazzolo _1.jpg
Sophomore defender A.J. Palazzolo jumps to head the ball after a corner kick against Virginia Commonwealth University on Sept. 7 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated VCU, 5-0. Matt Begala

Coming to IU, Palazzolo was labeled as a defender. However, Yeagley switched him to forward his freshman season and even started him at striker against then-No. 18 Connecticut earlier this season.

Whether he’s coming off the bench or in the starting lineup, Yeagley has constantly praised his versatility.

“He’s as complete as a player on our team with the skill sets that are required in both parts of the field,” Yeagley said. “You don’t see a player that’s in the back half as a center back as composed as a player up the field like he has.”

When asked about what made Palazzolo so versatile within the team, Yeagley went as far to compare him to former IU forward and current Toronto FC defender Eriq Zavaleta.

Part of the 2012 National Championship team, Zavaleta led IU with 18 goals. Just like Palazzolo, Zavaleta came to IU as a defender but was moved to forward.

Now, Zavaleta is in his sixth season in the MLS and has seen 1,377 minutes of action in 19 games played during the 2018 season.

“He could easily move back and be a center back for us or play in the midfield and be a starter there next year,” Yeagley said. “Great thing for us he’s also really open to that, which is the most important. He just wants to help the team win.”

Through 13 matches, Palazzolo has remained a key player rotating in and out of the IU starting lineup. But, no matter where he’s been positioned, Palazzolo has been big for the Hoosiers in critical situations this season.

His first career goal couldn’t have come at a better time either. In the second match this season, IU faced then-No. 3 North Carolina. This time around, it was Palazzolo who scored the lone goal of the match.

In the 88th minute, senior midfielder Trevor Swartz launched a free kick toward the back-right post and the ball found the head of Palazzolo who finished from four yards out. The goal proved to be the difference maker as the Hoosiers picked up their first win of the season.

“The guys like him and he galvanizes the group,” Yeagley said. “He’s a winner on the field so there’s also when he enters the field, the team grows with that. He has a great effect on the team.”

A.J. Palazzolo
Sophomore defender A.J. Palazzolo attempts to break free from two Northwestern University players Sept. 26 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. IU defeated NU, 2-1. Matt Begala

Palazzolo has four goals this season and even had another crucial goal for IU against a different top-10 opponent on the road.

Down 1-0 to then-No. 8 Notre Dame in the second half, IU was searching for an equalizer.

Then came Palazzolo with less than 12 minutes remaining on another Swartz cross. Swartz found space on the right side of the 18-yard box and sent the cross to the far post. The ball found the head of Palazzolo, who buried it from three-yards out.

The goal gave IU the boost it needed to eventually defeat Notre Dame, 2-1, in overtime.

He couldn’t help but crack a smile when saying how they couldn’t afford to lose that game.

Now, as the Hoosiers near postseason play with an 11-2 overall record and a first-place standing in the Big Ten, Palazzolo might be watching from the sidelines, but, unlike last year, his number could be called at any minute to be put into play — it has every game so far, and will most likely continue to be. 

“I’m going to do whatever I can to help the team keep winning games moving forward and win the Big Ten,” Palazzolo said.