News you need to know for Wednesday, Oct. 17

Protest at SotU Address

McRobbie said IU has a handle on its mold problem. Some students disagree.

Protest at SotU Address
Freshmen Anabel Padilla, Lizzie Martinez and Maria Gomez listen during the State of the University address Oct. 16 in Preidents Hall. The group was prepared to speak if President Michael McRobbie didn't speak on the topic of mold in buildings during his speech. They all live in the Kelley Living and Learning Community in McNutt, which has been dealing with mold problems. Colin Kulpa

Inspectors found mold earlier this semester in McNutt and Foster Quads, and multiple students have been relocated to other living arrangements. Some students said they don't think IU has done enough. Read more here. 

IUPD debunks tarp-toting, knife-carrying Uber driver rumor

It’s unclear how the rumor began. Read more here. 

First U.S. screening of 80-year-old Japanese horror film to premiere at IU Cinema  

"The Ghost Cat and the Mysterious Shamisen"
Professor Michael Crandol discusses a Japanese horror film, “The Ghost Cat and the Mysterious Shamisen.” “This will be the first time this film will ever be shown anywhere outside of Japan on 35 mm film,” Crandol said.  Alex Deryn

“The Ghost Cat and the Mysterious Shamisen” will have its U.S. premiere here at IU on its 80th anniversary. Read more here. 

IU women's soccer focuses on must-win games with Penn State, Maryland

womenssoccervsMS-5.jpg
Freshman Katherine Cornell cheers on the women's soccer team Sept. 16 at Bill Armstrong field. IU will face Penn State and Maryland to close out the regular season. Claire Livingston

IU can sneak into the Big Ten Tournament with two more wins and some help from a few other teams. Read more here.