student life

More than 200 students offered temporary housing in response to mold issues

Mcnutt Residence Center

IU is working to resolve a widespread mold problem in residence halls, according to statements by the University. 

A third-party company began cleaning every heating and air-conditioning unit in McNutt and Foster Quads on Monday, according to an IU website. The piping systems that run into each room are also being inspected and cleaned. As part of the process, the rooms will be cleaned with a High-Efficiency Particulate Air Vacuum, which is able to capture extremely small particles. The rooms will be cleaned multiple times as part of the seven to 10 minute process.

The University offered more than 200 students temporary relocation to lounges in Forest Quad or Eigenmann Hall. According to an Oct. 14 statement, the lounges will be furnished and secure.

“Indiana University is committing all needed resources to resolve this situation as swiftly as is possible for the student residents,” President Michael McRobbie said in an Oct. 11 statement.

Students who identified mold or told the University about symptoms related to mold were offered relocation. The statement said other students who have not been notified will soon receive this offer as well.

IU has also provided free transportation and moving services to those who are relocating to Forest and Eigenmann.

As of Monday night, the University had received 420 requests for mold inspection, 381 of which have been inspected and 285 have been cleaned. So far, 115 students have been moved.

According to the IU Buildings website, this year’s prolonged humid summer weather in addition to other conditions has increased the occurrence of mold not only at IU, but also statewide. The website says there were fewer reports of mold in the fall of 2017 because the weather was “more seasonable.” 

Other conditions such as condensation around air units, open windows and room set-ups that limit air flow around the units may have contributed to the increase in mold.

Larry Singell, executive dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, sent an email to faculty Monday notifying them of the mold issues and the health implications that may be affecting their students. 

He urged faculty to be more flexible with excused absences and accommodations for missed tests and assignments if students’ health was compromised by the mold.

“If students bring notes from the IU Health Center or from external health care professionals, please regard such notifications as excused absences even if these notices do not have required time stamps,” Singell said in the email.

McRobbie said he appointed Tom Morrison, vice president for capital planning and facilities, to oversee all actions to remedy the mold problems.

The University created a website to answer frequently-asked-questions and post updates regarding the mold problems. It also offers links to additional information about mold on the Center for Disease Control and the American Industrial Hygiene Association websites.