IU football's Michael Penix Jr. out for season with torn ACL

IUFB_Ball State_8.jpg

Freshman quarterback Michael Penix Jr. is out for the rest of the 2018 season.

After Penix left in the third quarter of IU's game against Penn State with an injury on Saturday, IU Coach Tom Allen announced at his weekly press conference Monday that Penix had suffered an ACL tear.

“My heart breaks for him,” Allen said.

Allen also said that Penix will have surgery in a few weeks and the goal is to get him back in time for spring ball next season.

Penix, who served as sophomore Peyton Ramsey’s backup this season, played in three games. He completed 21 of his 34 passing attempts for a completion percentage 61.76. He also recorded 219 total passing yards, with one touchdown and no interceptions.

With the new redshirt rule that allows freshmen to appear in four games before coaches make a decision on whether or not to redshirt them, Penix will be eligible.

In his three appearances this season, Penix played against Florida International, Ball State and Penn State.

His most productive outing came in the season-opener in Miami in which he went 8-10 for 96 yards and threw his only touchdown of the year.

At Monday’s press conference, Allen also announced that freshman Reese Taylor would take over as the new backup quarterback for IU.

Taylor, who has seen time at running back, wide receiver and defensive back this season, was named Mr. Indiana Football last year as a quarterback during his senior season at Ben Davis High School in Indianapolis. 

"Had a great talk with him yesterday,” Allen said. “I know he's hurting and discouraged and down, but it's one of those things you have to deal with.”