Instant Recap: No. 3 Ohio State defeats IU, 49-26

Ramsey Runs

* FINAL: No. 3 Ohio State defeats IU 49-26. 

The Hoosiers twice led against the Buckeyes, but the home team pulled away for good in the third quarter of the game.

IU quarterback Peyton Ramsey threw a career-high 49 passes in the loss, completing 26 of them for 322 yards and three touchdowns.

IU's rushing attack didn't feature prominently in the game, but freshman running back Stevie Scott did have a 45-yard rush to start the game.

Ohio State quarterback Dwayne Haskins was phenomenal, with 455 yards passing and six touchdowns.

IU is now 4-2 while Ohio State remains a perfect 6-0.

* TOUCHDOWN (6:51 left in the 4th quarter) Haskins has six touchdown passes in the game following a 30-yard strike to Binjimen Victor to basically seal the game for Ohio State.

A 10-play scoring drive that puts the Buckeyes out of sight with regard to this game.

Buckeyes lead the Hoosiers 49-26.

* TOUCHDOWN (12:21 left in the 4th quarter) Ohio State has likely sealed the game with a 17-yard touchdown in the opening minutes of the final period.

Haskins' fifth touchdown pass of the day is a 17-yard lofted throw to McLaurin in the corner of the end zone.

Ohio State leads IU 42-26.

* END of 3rd Quarter: Ohio State leads IU 35-26.

Hoosiers failed to take advantage of two opportunities at the end of the quarter to score points. One following an interception and another after a bad punt by Ohio State.

* INTERCEPTION (2:58 left in the 3rd quarter) Yet another takeaway is forced by the IU defense.

Pressure was applied to Haskins and a wobbly pass was easily intercepted by Bryant Fitzgerald of IU.

Fitzgerald returns the interception to midfield.

Ohio State leads IU 35-26.

* INJURY (4:37 left in the 3rd quarter) Thomas Allen is down injured again for IU. 

He gingerly walked off the field with trainers.

* INJURY (4:46 left in the 3rd quarter) IU cornerback Devon Matthews is injured on the kickoff return by Ohio State. He is eventually able to walk off the field under his own power.

* TOUCHDOWN (4:53 left in the 3rd quarter) Donavan Hale gets in on the scoring for IU with a three-yard touchdown reception.

A long, methodical drive by IU leads to the score, and then the Hoosiers try and fail with a two-point conversion attempt.

The eight-play, 58 yard drive took less than three minutes to complete.

It's still a two-possession Ohio State lead, as the Buckeyes lead the Hoosiers 35-26.

* TURNOVER ON DOWNS (7:37 left in the 3rd quarter) Ohio State is unable to convert a 4th and 1 play and the Hoosiers force a turnover on downs.

It's a rare time during the game when the IU defense has prevented Ohio State from scoring by not forcing a turnover. 

* FUMBLE (8:53 left in the 3rd quarter) While being sacked on a 3rd down play near midfield, Ramsey fumbles the ball and its recovered by Ohio State.

Buckeyes lead 35-20.

* TOUCHDOWN (14:09 left in the 3rd quarter) Parris Campbell scores his second touchdown of the game for Ohio State.

Campbell was left as wide open as a football player could possibly be on the near sideline, easily catching a pass from Haskins and running into the end zone for the score. The play went for 71 yards.

The touchdown comes on Ohio State's opening drive of the half.

Buckeyes lead the Hoosiers 35-20.

* HALFTIME: No. 3 Ohio State leads IU 28-20.

It's been a wild, back-and-forth half of football in Columbus, Ohio. IU has had a pair of leads against the No. 3 team in the country, but it has gone away each time.

Peyton Ramsey has thrown the ball early and often for IU, posting 17 of 29 passing for 239 yards and two touchdowns.

Wide receiver J-Shun Harris leads IU with 90 receiving yards, while the Hoosier defense has forced a pair of turnovers, but it has also allowed four touchdowns.

* FIELD GOAL (0:40 left in the 2nd quarter) For the second time today, Justus converts a 37-yard field goal for IU.

The eight-play, 56-yard scoring drive was set up in part by another big pass play from Ramsey to Westbrook. The Hoosiers have made it a one-score game again.

Ohio State leads IU 28-20 as halftime looms.

* TOUCHDOWN (2:16 left in the 2nd quarter) Ohio State takes a double-digit lead right before halftime.

Following the fumble recovery, Haskins finds Terry McLaurin for a seven-yard touchdown pass.

Buckeyes lead the Hoosiers 28-17.

* FUMBLE (4:11 left in the 2nd quarter) IU gives away the football at its own 32-yard line.

Reese Taylor made a nice catch and turn as he approached the first-down marker, but lost possession of the ball as he went to the ground. Very tight call that goes against the Hoosiers.

Ohio State football late in the first half, with the Buckeyes leading 21-17.

* TOUCHDOWN (4:39 left in the 2nd quarter) The lead goes back to the Buckeyes.

An 18-yard touchdown pass from Haskins to Parris Campbell to give Ohio State a 21-17 lead.

The OSU drive was agin quick, taking less than three minutes and covering 75 yards.

Ohio State will also get the ball first to start the second half.

Ohio State leads IU 21-17.

* INJURY (5:52 left in the 2nd quarter) Linebacker Thomas Allen was down injured for IU after making a tackle, he was helped off the field by trainers.

* TOUCHDOWN (7:04 left in the 2nd quarter) Peyton Ramsey goes deep and finds Nick Westbrook for a 19-yard touchdown pass. The IU offense is reliant on Ramsey passing the ball now, and it's having success doing so.

Big pass plays on that drive included a spectacular one-handed catch by wide receiver J-Shun Harris.

Westbrook's touchdown grab also came while he was interfered with by a defender.

IU leads No. 3 Ohio State 17-14.

* INTERCEPTION (8:37 left in the 2nd quarter) The Hoosiers have their second takeaway against the Buckeyes. Cam Jones applied pressure to quarterback Dwayne Haskins, and Devon Matthews came away with a wide open interception.

IU takes over at its own 30-yard line, trailing OSU 14-10.

* TOUCHDOWN (10:59 left in the 2nd quarter) A 32-yard touchdown pass from Ramsey to tight end Peyton Hendershot keeps the Hoosiers within striking distance.

The IU scoring drive was only five plays for 75 yards. Really good play design on the touchdown pass, as Ramsey faked a handoff and a reverse handoff before finding a wide open Hendershot.

Ohio State leads 14-10.

* TOUCHDOWN (12:21 left in the 2nd quarter) Ohio State extends its lead to 14-3 on a 40-yard touchdown pass by quarterback Dwayne Haskins.

He connected with wide receiver Johnnie Dixon for the touchdown pass to cap another efficient scoring drive by the home team. It was another nine-play drive that last just over three minutes and also featured a 4th down conversion.

Ohio State leads IU 14-3.

* End of 1st Quarter: Ohio State leads IU 7-3. 

The Hoosiers took a 3-0 lead on their opening drive of the game, and had a chance to extend that lead after a fumble recovery. But, a failed fourth-down conversion attempt and an Ohio State touchdown drive later, the Buckeyes lead 7-3 after one period. 

* TOUCHDOWN (2:58 left in the 1st quarter) Ohio State takes the lead. Running back J.K. Dobbins easily finds his way into the end zone from a yard out. The Ohio State drive lasted nine plays and covered 71 yards in just over three minutes of game time.

Hoosiers have been made to pay for not scoring off the fumble recovery.

Ohio State leads IU 7-3.

* TURNOVER ON DOWNS (6:04 left in 1st quarter) In a 4th and 3 situation from the Ohio State 29-yard line, IU goes for it and fails to convert. Quarterback Peyton Ramsey targeted running back Mike Majette with the pass, which would have given the Hoosiers a first down, but he failed to complete the catch as he was tackled to the ground.

Ohio State ball. IU leads Ohio State 3-0.

* TIMEOUTS (6:08 left in 1st quarter) Ohio State has used all three of its first-half timeouts just nine minutes into the game.

* FUMBLE (8:56 left in 1st quarter) IU has forced an Ohio State fumble and recovered it. Brandon Wilson forced the fumble, and Cam Jones recovered the ball. Ohio State had made it inside the IU 40-yard line, but a 3rd down rushing attempt by the Buckeyes was going nowhere before the ball was forced loose.

IU ball at its own 38-yard line.

* FIELD GOAL (11:47 left in 1st quarter) IU's opening drive yields three points for the Hoosiers. A big 45-yard run by freshman running back Stevie Scott got the Hoosiers into scoring range, and despite some penalties in the red zone, IU converted a 37-yard field goal attempt by Logan Justus.

It is the first time this season the Hoosiers have scored first in a game.

IU leads No. 3 Ohio State 3-0.

* IU's last win against Ohio State came in 1988, when the Bill Mallory-led Hoosiers won 41-7 in Bloomington.

* Hello and welcome to our live updates page for the IU football game against No. 3 Ohio State. The game features the 4-1 Hoosiers against the 5-0 Buckeyes at Ohio Stadium in Columbus, Ohio.