sports field hockey

IU field hockey gets locked down by No. 2 Maryland

Field Hockey_Maryland_Auker_Tiplick.JPG

No. 2 Maryland presented a great challenge for IU before the team ever stepped onto the field Friday afternoon at the IU Field Hockey Complex.

The Big Ten’s leading-scoring team came into the match with just one loss on the season and the highest rated RPI in the nation. The challenge got even tougher for the Hoosiers when Terrapin junior midfielder Madison Maguire took the opening ball down the field and shot it into the net just 12 seconds into the match. 

Maryland would add three more goals during the match to win the game 4-0 in the cold and rain.

“I think Maryland was such a talent and defensively our players really stepped up in terms of solid tackles,” IU Coach Amanda Janney Misselhorn said. “We just got off to a tough start, and that put us a little bit behind.”

After Maguire’s opening goal, senior forward Linnea Gonzales would add two more first-half goals, giving the Terrapins a comfortable 3-0 lead at halftime. 

During the second half, Maryland played conservatively with the ball, not allowing IU any chances on the attack. Sophomore forward Mayv Clune would add another goal in the 59th minute as Maryland put the finishing touches on a dominant performance. 

The Terrapins outshot IU 20-0 and never gave IU an ounce of breathing room.

Janney Misselhorn said she knew Maryland would play an up-tempo style of field hockey coming into the game. 

As IU battled the weather conditions Friday, players lost their footing and the ball slid across the field faster. Still, Janney Misselhorn said she believes IU stepped up to the challenge in terms of controlling the tempo.

“With the youth of our team and the different people playing different positions, it’s a great experience for us with the switching and the movement,” Janney Misselhorn said. 

IU will next play a ranked Rutgers team Sunday afternoon on Senior Day. Taylor Swope, Claire Woods, Nora Aucker and Elle Hempt will all play their final regular season home game in Bloomington.

“We absolutely need a strong start,” Janney Misselhorn said. “Today shows that if you don’t come out with a strong start, it puts you behind. We need to play aggressive.”

Sunday’s match against Rutgers will start at noon with Senior Day festivities beginning before the match.