Tuesday, March 19

sports field hockey

IU falls to Rutgers 4-0

IUFH_Northwestern_3.jpg

IU field hockey's match on Sunday with Rutgers was a near reflection of Friday’s 4-0 loss to Maryland.

In the cold rain, Rutgers jumped out to a quick lead as it went on to defeat IU 4-0 in the last home regular season of the match. 

The one difference is that game was a lot closer than the scoreboard may have read.

“One thing we can take away from today is that there was a lot of hustle all over the field," senior Elle Hempt said. “At the end, we're down four goals and still pressing and earning corners. We didn’t capitalize on all the opportunities, but hopefully next weekend we’re able to do that.”

Daphne Groothuis and Nikki Profita scored goals in the first half for Rutgers off penalty corners, giving the Scarlet Knights a quick 2-0 lead. Rutgers dominated in the first half, but in the second, IU tightened it up a little more. 

Rutgers outshot IU 5-4 in the second half, but the Hoosiers had a 3-2 advantage in penalty corners.

“I think we were pressing them a lot, and they weren’t able to get past our 50 for almost the entire second half,” IU Coach Amanda Janney Misselhorn said. “Disappointed it doesn’t show on the scoreboard, but I’m proud of the fight.”

Profita would add another goal in the second half for Rutgers while Linde van Schaik would ice the game in the 65th minute for Rutgers, capping off an effective day.

“Rutgers is always a hard fight, a super physical team, and it’s always a good game,” Hempt said.

IU’s last regular season home game meant it was Senior Day for Taylor Swope, Elle Hempt, Nora Aucker and Claire Woods, one of the first recruiting classes Janney Misselhorn had for the Hoosiers. Each of the four has started nearly the entire season and has made positive contributions all year.

“We’re proud of our seniors for playing so hard today; each one of them had a great game today,” Janney Misselhorn said.

For Hempt, this game meant even more. She was supposed to finish her career a season ago, but an injury last year granted her a medical hardship waiver, giving her one more year to suit up for IU.

“I wasn’t supposed to have this season, so for me every home game is awesome,” Hempt said. “Unfortunate we couldn’t get the win in the last home game, but still I feel so blessed to be out here.”

IU will wrap up the regular season next Friday at Penn State before hosting Michigan State on Oct. 26 in the No. 8 versus No. 9 play-in game to the Big Ten Tournament.