Hoosiers set for quad-meet opener

Spiusdpurduerecap012118-3.jpg

IU men’s swimming and diving will open its 2018-19 season against Notre Dame, Kentucky and Missouri in Bloomington on Wednesday — the first of its four home meets this season.

At the Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center, No. 3 IU will face the Atlantic Coast Conference’s Fighting Irish and the Southeastern Conference’s Wildcats and Tigers. IU defeated both Notre Dame and Kentucky during meets in the 2017-18 year. The Hoosiers have yet to face the Tigers since their tri-meet defeat in January of 2014.

Wednesday’s four-way competition will begin at 10 a.m. Live results of the quad-meet will be updated on the team’s website as the day continues.

Last season, Notre Dame lost only two meets, and most of its returning swimmers already have significant accomplishments to their names.

The Fighting Irish are coming off a season in which they finished third at the Ohio State Fall Open Invitational, first at the Shamrock Invitational, fourth at the ACC Championships and 23rd at the NCAA Championships. 

Last season, Notre Dame lost 146-95 against the IU men's swimming and diving program.

Like the Fighting Irish, the Wildcats lost their meet against the Hoosiers 223-77 last year. The Wildcats took ninth at the SEC championships in the 2017-18 year and had four representatives at the conclusion of the 2018 NCAA Championships. 

Missouri opened its season this past Friday and took first place against Missouri State, Washington University, Drury and Lindenwood with a total of 674 points. The Tigers did not have a meet against the Hoosiers or the Fighting Irish last season, but they did compete against and lose to Kentucky 213-140. 

At the 2017-18 SEC championships, Missouri placed fifth while finishing in a tie for 23rd at the NCAA Championships.

This opening meet will be the first for nearly 30 IU swimmers and divers who are looking to give the program its third consecutive Big Ten title. Led by two representatives of the 2018-19 USA national swim team — senior Zach Apple and freshman Michael Brinegar — and 2016 Rio Olympics competitor and senior James Connor, the Hoosiers are looking to stay on track for their three-peat.