Hoosiers in the NFL: Week 5 recap

Rodger Saffold

During week five of the 2018 NFL season, six former IU football players took the field for their respective NFL teams, with several players positing career milestones during their games.

Tight end Ian Thomas had the most productive game of his young NFL career. Thomas made his third-straight start for the Carolina Panthers in their 33-31 home win against the New York Giants. He tied his career-high in catches with three, but also posted a career-best 38 receiving yards, including a 27-yard catch in the game.

In another early kickoff Sunday, running back Tevin Coleman was unable to find much success against the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense. Coleman mustered just 15 rushing yards on seven carries, as well as 15 receiving yards on two catches, as his Atlanta Falcons lost 41-17 in Pittsburgh.

Offensive linemen are the best represented position group for former Hoosiers in the NFL, and a trio of former IU offensive linemen saw playing time Sunday.

Offensive guard Dan Feeney made his 14th career NFL start Sunday as his Los Angeles Chargers beat the Oakland Raiders 26-10.

Jason Spriggs, an offensive tackle for the Green Bay Packers, made his fifth appearance of the season in Green Bay's loss in Detroit to the Detroit Lions. Spriggs has yet to make a start for Green Bay in 2018, but he now has 28 career NFL appearances.

Sunday was a landmark day for Rodger Saffold. An offensive guard for the Los Angeles Rams, Saffold made his 100th career NFL start as the Rams won 33-31 in Seattle against the Seattle Seahawks.

Saffold has spent his entire career, which has included 103 total game appearances, with the Rams franchise.

He was drafted by the Rams in 2010 with the 33rd overall pick in the second round.

Lastly, linebacker Chris Covington made his second ever NFL appearance Sunday night with the Dallas Cowboys as they lost 19-16 in overtime to the Houston Texans.