Hoosiers in the NFL: Week 8 Recap

Jordan Howard

A number of former IU football players in the NFL were on bye weeks last weekend, but three of the four players who suited up came out with wins.

Chicago Bears running back Jordan Howard scored his third rushing touchdown of the season as Chicago won at home against the New York Jets, 24-10. Howard had 22 rushing attempts for 81 yards to go along with his two-yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter.

Howard now has consecutive weeks with a rushing touchdown for the first time since September 2017.

While Chicago is now 4-3 this season, the Los Angeles Rams are the only undefeated team left in the NFL.

Former IU offensive guard Rodger Saffold is part of the 8-0 Los Angeles Rams, which defeated the Green Bay Packers 29-27 on Sunday. Los Angeles’ next game on its quest for a perfect regular season will be Sunday afternoon at New Orleans.

Saffold’s victory resulted in a loss for another former IU offensive lineman, tackle Jason Spriggs of the Packers. Spriggs appeared in his sixth game of the season for Green Bay, but has not started a game in the 2018 season. He has now played 29 career NFL games.

Lastly, tight end Ian Thomas made his first catch since Oct. 7 for the Carolina Panthers in a 36-21 home win against the Baltimore Ravens. Thomas’ lone reception in the game went for 15 yards. For the season, Thomas has 11 catches for 87 yards, although his playing time has decreased in recent weeks with the return of Carolina's normal starting tight end, Greg Olsen, from injury.