sports golf

Hoosiers finish 10th at Illini Invitational

golfball.jpg

Medinah Country Club in Medinah, Illinois, is one of the most prestigious courses in the country, having hosted numerous major tournaments.

The IU women's golf team was one of 15 teams from around the country that got to play the course as part of the Illini Invitational.

IU finished with a score of 871 in the tournament that occurred on Monday and Tuesday. They tied for 10th place with Wisconsin.

The Hoosiers finished behind several other Big Ten schools in the invitational. Purdue won with a team score of 837, followed by Kent State with a score of 841, Illinois at 845 and the University of Miami at 846. The next closest team was 16 strokes behind the Hurricanes, as those four school distanced themselves from the other teams.

Sophomore Mary Parsons led the Hoosiers this weekend, finishing tied for 20th place individually with a score of one-under par. Her score did not count toward IU's team score as she was competing individually. 

Graduate transfer Kari Bellville finished atop IU’s team rankings, concluding the tournament at even par, and senior standout Erin Harper finished her final round strong with a birdie on the final three holes to finish at one-over par. 

Next, the Hoosiers will be traveling to Atlanta, Georgia, to compete in the Alexa Stirling Women’s Intercollegiate. That tournament will begin Oct. 26 and consists of three rounds of play.