crime & courts

Third doctor testifies in Bloomington rape case competency hearing

Zietlow Justice Center

A third doctor testified in a Bloomington rape case Tuesday to help determine whether the suspect is competent to stand trial. 

Frederick Nolen, who completed the last of three mental health evaluations, said he did not find Austin Bishop competent to stand trial. 

Bishop was arrested and charged with raping a paralyzed woman in November 2016 in the 2200 block of North Walnut Street.

Bishop told police he hadn’t taken his medication for a mental illness for several days before the assault and blamed the missed medication for his actions. Bishop has been in and out of various mental health institutions since 2009. He has received varying mental health diagnoses and medications.

Two other doctors, Rebecca Mueller and Anne Leach, testified in August. Leach said she believed Bishop was competent to stand trial, while Mueller did not.

Nolen said he believed Bishop is not competent to stand trial because of his low IQ, low cognitive function and possible brain damage from birth. Nolen came to these conclusions after giving Bishop various IQ tests and reviewing his medical history. 

Nolen said while Bishop may at times appear to understand court proceedings and give answers to the judge or attorneys, he does not believe Bishop is able to fully comprehend the situation. 

He diagnosed Bishop with schizophrenia, among other mental disorders, but recommended Bishop receive MRI and EEG scans to look more closely at his brain anatomy and function. 

Both the prosecution and defense attorneys will submit their arguments regarding Bishop’s competency to Judge Marc Kellams by Oct. 18.