crime & courts

Police investigate suspected double murder-suicide in Greene County

GREENE COUNTY, Ind. — The Greene County Sheriff's Department is investigating what police suspect to be a double murder-suicide at 7048 N. State Road 43. The incident left three people dead at a house behind the Union Church. 

Police responded to a 911 call around 8:30 a.m. Tuesday. The caller reported hearing gunshots and screaming from a nearby house, said Sgt. Curt Durnil, an Indiana State Police public information officer. 

When police arrived at the house, they found three people dead — Peggy J. Burks, the resident of the home, Debra K. Floyd, her caregiver, and Lawrence T. Burks, according to a press release from the Indiana State Police.

“It’s not a good day for Greene county,” Durnil said, standing in the parking lot of the Union Church. 

There was a protective order in place against Lawrence Burks for Peggy Burks, according to the press release.

Peggy Burks, 73, filed for a divorce from Lawrence Burks, 71, Aug. 20, 2018, according to court documents. Lawrence filed for a divorce from Peggy in 2013, but it was later dismissed. 

The Greene County Sheriff's department has not released the weapon used or the causes of death.

Lawrence Burks has no prior criminal convictions.

The Greene County Sheriff's department is leading the case, and Indiana State Police is assisting with evidence and conducting interviews. The investigation is ongoing and a motive has not yet been established, according to the press release.

By around 6 p.m., at least 20 people, mostly family of the woman who lived in the home and neighbors, had gathered in the parking lot of the church. They stood in circles, talking and holding one another.