sports field hockey

Offensive woes continue for IU in 5-0 loss to Miami of Ohio

Field_hockey_Girouard_Tiplick.JPG

After dropping matches against Northwestern and Iowa last weekend to open Big Ten play, the Hoosiers traveled to Oxford, Ohio, in search of a win to get them back on track. 

The Hoosiers had high expectations heading into the matchup with Miami of Ohio. Instead, IU was met by stiff competition and lost 5-0, which is their third consecutive loss.

The Red Hawks made quick work of what had been a solid IU defense throughout the season. Miami’s Paula Portugal struck first in the 18th minute, putting the Red Hawks on the board. Miami would never look back.

Leonor Berlie and Kenzie Peterson would later score goals before Portugal added two more to complete the hat trick. The five goals that the Hoosiers allowed to Miami on Sunday was the most IU had given up all season.

Juniors Ciara Girouard and Kelsey Giese added shots for the Hoosiers but couldn’t muster anything to show up in the box score.

The defense became evidently over-matched by Miami, an opponent that continued their hot offensive streak. For the Hoosiers, this game served as a step back for what had been a solid stretch of play.

“I think we just need better team defense. I think the forwards need help on D, we can do a better job at getting back,” Girouard said. “Just more communication on who’s girls whose, recognizing which girl to take and what girl is yours.”

IU now sits at 2-7, 0-2 in conference, a far cry where IU Coach Amanda Janney Misselhorn wanted to be at the beginning of the season. The offense has suddenly gone silent, and a very difficult stretch of play awaits this struggling IU team.

The Hoosiers will return to action next Friday as they travel to Columbus to take on the Buckeyes of Ohio State. To round off the weekend, IU will play in Ann Arbor against Michigan.