business & economy bloomington

Meet Bloomington's newest Mexican restaurant, Social Cantina

Social Cantina

Social Cantina stands out on the square with its dark exterior and bright green sign. 

Inside, the dark colors of the booths are accented with pops of colorful paintings and lights. Over the bar hangs a large green sign that reads "SOCIAL." The wall behind the bar supports multiple shelves to display their large selection of drinks.

Social Cantina, Bloomington’s newest Mexican restaurant, is just what its name suggests. It’s a place for people to meet and be social while enjoying food and drinks. 

The restaurant, located on North College Avenue, opened July 30. It is owned by Nathan Finney, who also owns the Tap. 

“His vision was to be different and bring something different to the city of Bloomington,” general manager Ashton Gipson said.

Gipson said there is not a tequila bar in Bloomington with as wide of a selection. He added that the Mexican food is different than at other restaurants because it is more Mexican street food style. 

Even though it boasts a large selection of alcohol, the restaurant is open to all ages, excluding the designated bar area. 

The two most popular drinks are the Clase Azul and the Don Julio tequilas said Gipson.

“Some of the tequilas we offer are really handcrafted with very small batches by people who work very hard to make this tequila, so some of it's quite expensive just because of the love and the labor that goes into making tequila," Gipson said.

There are three tequilas on tap: The house tequila, the Espolon, and the Casamigos.  

They also offer margaritas, various cocktails, local beers and sangrias. 

Everything on the food menu is ordered a la carte.

Gipson said the way the menu is set up allows for customers to get different types of tacos at once and choose if they want a side. 

“You can really adapt and change the menu to be exactly what you want to eat that day,” she said.

She said the baja fish tacos have been a popular choice. 

The restaurant also have started specialty features which highlight different meals. One of the features is always a vegan or vegetarian taco.

Customer Rachel Morrison decided to get the Pineapple Express Cantina bowl, a dish with pork, grilled pineapple, guacamole, arugula and Oaxaca cheese. 

“I didn’t know what to expect, honestly,” she said. “I’ve never had pineapple with a Mexican-type bowl before.” 

She said it was her first time at the restaurant, and she came in because she was looking for something near the Monroe County Courthouse. She liked the food and atmosphere and would come back if she was nearby again.

Right now they do not have events, but Gipson said there is a plan to open up another restaurant nearby called Smoke Works, which will offer barbecue and Bourbon.

She said once that is open, they will set up one room inside Social Cantina for events. 

“It's meant to be an experience in itself,” Gipson said. “It's a place where you can come hang out and celebrate whatever occasion it might be. Whether that’s a birthday, anniversary or just having drinks with some friends who you haven’t seen in a while.”