sports men's soccer

IU scores five goals against Evansville

IU's Trevor Swartz and A.J. Palazzolo

The No. 2 Hoosiers matched their season high with five goals on the road against Evansville on Friday night.

Senior defender Andrew Gutman picked up his sixth goal of the season after sophomore midfielder Griffin Dorsey found him with a cross in the 13th minute.

In his first start of the season, junior defender Jordan Kleyn fired a shot in the 29th minute that was saved, and senior midfielder Austin Panchot scored on the rebound to give IU the 2-0 lead.

Then, just 18 seconds later, sophomore midfielder Justin Rennicks found the back of the net on a long run, finishing past the keeper.

With less than two minutes remaining in the first half, sophomore defender AJ Palazzolo scored his fourth goal of the season. Senior midfielder Jeremiah Gutjahr had a chip pass to senior defender Rece Buckmaster who then crossed to Palazzolo for the goal.

After heading into halftime with a 4-0 lead, Dorsey scored the lone goal of the second half when Gutman found him with space in the middle and Dorsey put it in the back of the net.

Sophomore goalkeeper Trey Muse picked up the shutout with five saves. IU had 16 shots and 12 of them were on goal.

The Hoosiers will resume Big Ten play Tuesday night when Northwestern travels to Bill Armstrong Stadium.