sports golf

IU men's golf finishes second in opening competition

042718BigTenMgolf1534_Gaesser_Ziedonis.JPG

After a weather delay on the opening day of play, the IU men’s golf squad finished second in its first invite of the season.

The Hoosiers finished with a combined team score of 18-under-par.  

Leading the way was sophomore Ethan Shepherd who finished in a tie for fifth place with a score of six-under-par. A third round score of five-under-par was a large part of that success. 

Shepherd didn’t finish far from his teammates. Two spots under him, tied for seventh, was senior co-captain Jack Sparrow, who finished five-under-par, along with freshman Mitch Davis, who competed as an individual.

In his first collegiate tournament, Davis had the best finish in the field of individuals. The next closest in that field was sophomore Evan Yakubov, who finished tied for 18th with an even par score.

The team play success came in large part to the play of junior Evan Gaesser who finished tied for 10th with a score of four-under-par. Senior co-captain Jake Brown finished tied for 12th at three-under-par. 

Junior Brock Ochsenreiter rounded out the team sheet, finishing tied for 34th at six-over-par. 

Ochsenreiter was the only Hoosier to not hit under par in all three rounds for team play. Freshman Harry Reynolds and senior Trevor Ranton also competed as individuals. They finished tied for 25th with at two-over-par and tied for 42nd at nine over-par, respectively.

The team will continue the season Friday with the Fighting Illini Invitational in Chicago.