Hoosiers in the NFL: Week 2 recap

Tevin Coleman

All 32 NFL teams were in action once again for week two of the 2018 season.

Just as in week one, several former IU players made in-game appearances across the country for their respective teams.

Running back Tevin Coleman was unable to find the end zone for the Atlanta Falcons like he did during the opening week of the season, but the former Hoosier still had a productive week running the football. Coleman posted 107 yards rushing on 16 attempts as Atlanta secured a 31-24 home victory against the Carolina Panthers.

It was the second time in Coleman's NFL career that he rushed for at least 100 yards, and the first time since the 2015 season.

Coleman did fumble the ball once, but it was recovered by the Falcons. He also recorded four catches for 18 yards in the victory.

One of the few Hoosiers starting in the NFL also happens to be one of the most recent pro players to depart IU – tight end Ian Thomas. A fourth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, Thomas is the new starter for Carolina at tight end following an injury to veteran player Greg Olsen. Thomas played the majority of Sunday's game against Atlanta at tight end, but produced only two catches for 10 yards in Carolina's loss.

Under the prime-time lights of Sunday's night game between the New York Giants and Dallas Cowboys, former IU wide receiver Cody Latimer made his first catches of the season for New York. Latimer caught two passes for a combined 41 yards, although his 37-yard reception was a standout play from an otherwise poor offensive night for the Giants. 

After spending the first four years of his career with the Denver Broncos, the receptions were the first for Latimer wearing New York's uniform, although the Giants lost 20-13.

Second-year guard Dan Feeney continued his role as a starter along the Los Angeles Chargers' offensive line Sunday by starting in Los Angeles' 31-20 road win at the Buffalo Bills. Dating back to his rookie 2017 season, Fenney has now started 11 of his 17 career NFL games.

Fellow offensive lineman Jason Spriggs also played in his second-consecutive game to begin his third NFL Season. Spriggs, a tackle, returned to action for Green Bay during week one following a season-ending knee injury in week 16 of the 2017 season. 

Spriggs continued his comeback by playing during Green Bay's 29-29 tie with Minnesota.

Offensive guard Rodger Saffold made his 100th NFL appearance during the Los Angeles Rams' 34-0 shutout win against the Arizona Cardinals. It was Saffold's 97th career start as well.

Dating back to the 2014 season, Saffold has started every game that he's made an appearance in.

Lastly, running back Jordan Howard had limited success, but reached a significant milestone, during the Chicago Bears' 24-17 home win Monday night against the Seattle Seahawks.

Howard finished the game with only 35 rushing yards from 14 attempts and three catches for 33 yards. But, Howard now has more than 3,000 career yards from scrimmage for his NFL career.

He's played all three of his NFL seasons for Chicago, and he's the fourth-fastest player in Bears history to record 3,000 career yards from scrimmage.