Hoosier Hysteria recruit breakdown

IMG_7244.JPG

Every year Hoosier Hysteria brings in an abundance of star-studded recruits who have IU on their radars. 

Romeo Langford and Darius Garland were the top two heralded recruits last year in attendance. The crowd chanted their names when they made their way on the court for a VIP seat. Unfortunately for IU, Garland signed with Vanderbilt, but with Langford, it was a different story.

Langford announced his decision to sign with the Hoosiers on April 30 in front of a gym packed with IU fans young and old. His official visit to Hoosier Hysteria proved to be a major part of his recruitment.

Armaan Franklin is the lone commit for the Hoosiers in the upcoming 2019 class.

Here are some of the major recruiting targets who were in attendance at this year’s Hoosier Hysteria.

Trayce Jackson-Davis – Center Grove '19 – No. 15 Overall/No. 4 Center – Official Visit

Jackson-Davis has been at the top of IU’s recruiting wish list for a long time. 

The No. 2 player in the state, Jackson-Davis broke out this summer after impressing with Team USA in the FIBA U-18 Championship. He averaged 6.8 PPG and 3.5 RPG to help Team USA win the gold medal.

As a junior last season, Jackson-Davis averaged 21.9 points per game, 9.3 rebounds per game and 4.1 blocks per game before Langford and New Albany defeated Center Grove in the IHSAA 4A Regional Championship.

According to 247sports, IU currently has the 100 percent crystal ball prediction. The top six teams for Jackson-Davis are IU, Purdue, Iowa, UCLA, Michigan State and Wake Forest. The Hoosiers seem to be the favorite thus far.

Keion Brooks – La Lumiere '19 – No. 21 Overall/No. 5 Small Forward – Official Visit

Some people consider Brooks and Jackson-Davis to be a package deal. They both have IU, Purdue, UCLA and Michigan State in their top six. Brooks also included blueblood programs in North Carolina and Kentucky.

The main priority for this upcoming IU recruiting class is to land both Jackson-Davis and Brooks. If the Hoosiers can land at least one of them, they’ll be in great position for another exciting freshman class.

Brooks is the No. 3 overall player in the state and has visited IU unofficially three times since Aug. 26, 2017.

According to 247sports, IU leads with a 50 percent crystal ball prediction, but Michigan State and Kentucky have both made strong pushes recently.

Anthony Leal – Bloomington High School South '20 – No. 79 Overall/No. 21 Shooting Guard – Unofficial Visit

Right in IU’s backyard, Leal has made a steady rise within the rankings this past summer to become the top in-state recruit for the 2020 class to this point.

Last spring, 247sports recruiting analyst Brian Snow named Leal as one of the top class of 2020 performers in the Adidas Gauntlet.

“Leal can make shots from deep, is solid going to the rim and plays with a terrific motor,” Snow said in a breakdown of the Adidas Gauntlet. “This has been a monster spring for him, and Leal keeps proving what he is capable of.”

The Hoosiers are in perfect position to land another top in-state prospect who is on the rise.

Khristian Lander – Francis Joseph Reitz '21 – No. 14 Overall/No. 1 Point Guard – Unofficial Visit

Not much is known about the 2021 class, but Lander has made a name for himself early on.

After a strong freshman season, Lander has already garnered some national attention, and IU has made a lot of effort to be one of the first major teams recruiting him.

Hoosier Hysteria marks the second time in September that Lander has visited Bloomington.

Caleb Furst – Blackhawk Christian ’21 – No. 30 Overall/No. 8 Power Forward – Unofficial Visit

The No. 2 in-state recruit according to 247sports, Furst received his first scholarship offer from Purdue back in April.

Furst is a left-handed power forward who made a name for himself last season at Blackhawk Christian. He’s shown the ability to be mobile around the basket and is a good shot blocker.

He hasn’t made much known about his recruitment, but Hoosier Hysteria could give IU a good early position.