student life

Here's what to do with parents during IU Family Weekend

Students wait outside the IU Auditorium with their parents for the induction ceremony to start. IU Family Weekend will begin this Friday and go through the end of the weekend.

IU Family Weekend will begin this Friday and go through the end of the weekend. With many students' relatives coming onto campus, here’s a list of things visiting families can do to take advantage of all IU has to offer.

Hit all the iconic spots on campus

IU Campus Limestone Architecture Tour: 

The Indiana Geological & Water Survey will lead a tour from 2 to 4 p.m. Friday, detailing the styles, techniques and artistry of architecture around campus. The tour starts at the Sample Gates.

Memorial Stadium Tour: 

Before Saturday’s game, you can get an up-close look at IU football’s playing grounds with a free tour of Memorial Stadium at 8 p.m. Friday. Visitors will get a behind-the-scenes look at the facility, training rooms and will even be able to walk on the field. You can reserve your tickets here

Entertainment

Steve Martin and Martin Short at the IU Auditorium: 

Comedians Steve Martin and Martin Short will perform live at 8 p.m. Saturday at the IU Auditorium with their show “An Evening You Will Forget For The Rest Of Your Life.” Tickets are available here

Emo Phillips at the Comedy Attic: 

Emo Phillip will perform at the Comedy Attic at 8 p.m. Thursday and 8 p.m. and 10:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. He has been performing since 1976, has appeared in film and television shows and has several comedy albums. Tickets are $25 and can be purchased here.

"The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs": 

This opera about Steve Jobs is playing at 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday at the Musical Arts Center. Tickets are available here.

Five for Fighting: 

John Ondrasik from Five for Fighting will perform with a string quartet at 8 p.m. Saturday at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater. Tickets can be purchased here.

Sports

IU vs. Northwestern Volleyball game: 

IU women’s volleyball takes on Northwestern in University Gym at 7 p.m. Friday. Students get in free with a valid student ID. Tickets for non-students cost $5 for adults and $3 for youth.  A student tailgate starts at 6 p.m. and there will be IU volleyball T-shirts for the first 250 people.

IU vs. Michigan State Football game: 

Cheer on IU’s undefeated football team with family at this weekend’s football game against MSU at Memorial Stadium. Tailgating in the nearby fields is also another way for many to have fun with family members before the 7:30 p.m. kickoff.

Local activities

Bloomington Community Farmers' Market: 

This weekly event offers something for people of all ages, with prepared foods and local, fresh produce that can be taken home. The market goes from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday at 401 N. Morton St.