bloomington

Bloomington community members show solidarity for Kavanaugh's accusers

Debra Morrow, Middle Way House executive director, speaks at a walkout Sept. 24 in support of survivors of sexual assault. 

Clad in black, a group of women and a few men stood under umbrellas and a dreary sky in an open oval near the edge of Third Street Park.

Debra Morrow, executive director of Middle Way House, spoke to the crowd before leading a moment of silence for survivors. 

“It’s 2018, folks,” Morrow told the crowd, her voice shaking. “Survivors of sexual assault should not have to defend their actions.”

About 25 people gathered in the pouring rain midday Monday, standing in solidarity with survivors of sexual assault.

Time’s Up, a national advocacy group against sexual harassment, organized the national walkout with the hashtag #BelieveSurvivors as a display of solidarity with Christine Blasey Ford, who came forward with allegations of sexual assault against her high school classmate and Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh last Sunday. Deborah Ramirez, Kavanaugh's Yale classmate, shared her own allegations one week later. Kavanaugh has denied the allegations. 

The Bloomington event was led by the Middle Way House, a domestic violence and sexual assault support center.

In an echo of the #MeToo movement, #WhyIDidntReport flooded social media Friday afternoon. 

Morrow shared the sadness and inspiration she felt upon watching people come forward through their posts.

In a moment of bravery, Morrow created a Twitter account. In another moment of bravery, she wrote her first tweet:

“Because I was nine years old,” she wrote. “He was my priest. And I thought I would go to hell.”

Quickly, she found herself reliving the blame and the shame she felt 28 years ago. She hid the tweet from public view within an hour.

“To this day, I still live with the fear of consequences and disclosure, even though I know it was not my fault,” Morrow said.

A couple of other women shared their stories after a moment of silence. 

Sarah Hunt, outreach communications coordinator for the Middle Way House, was in her 30s. She first told a friend, who asked if she was sure she understood what she was saying, if she was sure she understood what really happened.

“That really affirmed to me, and informed me, how I was going to move forward,” Hunt said. 

She didn’t feel the need to report what happened. She didn't anticipate saying anything at the walkout Monday, either.

“It wasn’t going to change what happened,” Hunt said. 

The Middle Way House provides a safe space for people to reach out for support without being instructed whether or not to report, she said. Many survivors who have gone through the criminal justice process tell Hunt they have found it more painful than the actual experience. 

Hunt supports those who choose to share their stories, but said she understands why they might refrain.

“They have nothing to gain from doing so, and everything to lose,” Hunt said. 

About two out of every three sexual assaults go unreported, according to the 2015 National Crime Victimization survey.

Morrow said anytime a survivor’s credibility is publicly challenged there is a huge effect on others trying to gather the courage to share their own stories.

“Enough is enough,” Morrow said. 

She urged the crowd to contact Sen. Joe Donnelly, D-Indiana, and Sen. Todd Young, R-Indiana. Let them know what you want from them and tell them you believe survivors, she said.

Bloomington resident Margaret Clements said she has been living the #MeToo movement her whole life. She said she doesn’t think Kavanaugh deserves a gavel or a robe. 

“I believe the survivors,” Clements said.