administration

Committee selected to choose new dean of SPEA

spea.jpg

There is an opening within IU’s faculty, and the process to fill it has begun.

Earlier this month, John Graham, the dean of IU’s School of Public and Environmental Affairs, announced his intent to step down from the position. Graham served as the dean for 10 years, and his resignation will go into effect Aug. 2019.

IU Provost Lauren Robel announced the committee leading the search for Graham’s replacement Monday. The committee includes students, faculty and staff across IU-Bloomington and IU-Purdue University Indianapolis campuses, according to an IU press release.

"John Graham is a wonderful colleague who has focused on academic excellence in faculty hiring, research and academic programs during his successful 10-year tenure as dean," Robel said in the release. "He will leave the school in terrific shape to recruit a worthy successor."

Austen Parrish, dean of the IU Maurer School of Law, will be the chair of the search committee, as the team works to select possible replacements for Graham. The committee contains associate professors within the school, as well as distinguished professor David Audretsch.

Maggie Hopkins, a senior at IU studying policy analysis, is the sole representative for undergraduate students on the selection committee.  She was chosen for this position due to her role as student body vice president of the IU Student Association and as a SPEA student.

“I would hate to have, not saying that this would happen, but to have someone come in who is only solely focused on keeping those graduate school rankings up and forgets the value of our undergraduate degree as well,” Hopkins said.

Hopkins said the committee is waiting to receive the date for its first meeting, but she said she expects the process to last for the duration of the academic year.