bloomington

A Seat at the Table: An event to get to know your midterm candidates

News-filler

Black Lives Matter Bloomington, along with the NAACP and the Monroe County Black Democratic Caucus, will conduct a series of events titled "A Seat at the Table" from Sept. 7 through Sept. 9. The event is in honor of former Rep. Shirley Chisholm, D-New York, and her famous quote: “If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair!” 

Friday will be the first round table discussions at the Unitarian Universalist Church. From 10:30 a.m. to 7 p.m., attendees can talk to Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, Penny Githens, Democratic House Candidate for District 60, County Council Member Shelli Yoder and more. 

The Monroe County Black Democratic Caucus will be at City Hall from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday to talk about the power of the black vote. Special guests include Dana Black, Indiana Democratic Party’s deputy chair of engagement and vice president for Indiana Stonewall Democrats.

That will be the second and final round table discussion on the following Sunday. This will also be at the Unitarian Universalist Church. Those who attend can talk to Democrats Erika Oliphant and Lee Jones at 6 p.m. Liz Watson and Jim Harper will join the event at 7:30 p.m. 

Candidates will respond to questions about issues related to the health and quality of life for black people and other marginalized groups, according to the Black Lives Matter Bloomington website. 

Each discussion will consist of two candidates, running opposed in the same race whenever possible, and two moderators, one from Black Lives Matter and another from their affiliated organizations or an person with a record of supporting  Black Lives Matter.

If you cannot attend the event, it will be broadcast via live stream on the Black Lives Matter Bloomington Facebook page or on Community Access Television Station.