Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

Big Red Liquors launches delivery service

<p>Big Red Liquors is located on North College Avenue. Big Red Liquors launched its own delivery app Aug. 20 with on-demand alcohol delivery and mobile ordering for in-store pick up.</p>

Big Red Liquors is located on North College Avenue. Big Red Liquors launched its own delivery app Aug. 20 with on-demand alcohol delivery and mobile ordering for in-store pick up.

Big Red Liquors launched its own app Aug. 20 with on-demand alcohol delivery and mobile ordering for in-store pick up, according to a press release. The app is free and available for iOS and Android. 

However, senior Abbie Walker isn't sure on-demand alcohol delivery is a great idea. 

"People would have a tendency to drink more because it's so much more accessible," she said. "I was actually talking to my friend the other day about how if Big Red had delivery, they would make so much money but it could contribute to alcoholism."

Each store’s inventory of wine, spirits and beer is displayed on the app for consumers to view. The app also includes a personalized list of recommendations, a search function and a label recognition feature.

Kenny Basler, 25 and visiting Bloomington, responded positively to the new delivery system as he walked out of Kilroy's on Kirkwood with friends; "It's awesome," he said.

Delivery and mobile ordering is now available at thirteen Big Red locations within the Indianapolis, Bloomington and Terre Haute markets. Bloomington locations include the Big Red on College Avenue and on College Mall Road. 

There is a $20 minimum order for delivery and a $4.99 delivery fee. However, customers will receive free one-hour delivery on their first three orders when using the promo code “first3free.” 

Graduate student Torie DiMartile said she thought the idea of driving around alcohol was interesting, but not appealing to her.

"People want to be in a scene-specific place, like the Bishop," she said. "I'm not sure I would use that."

Map link from Big Red Liquors press release.

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.