IU emails suffered issues, now repaired

News-filler

A small portion of Umail and Google Services users had issues receiving email earlier this week, according to Matt Gunkle, Director of Teaching and Learning Technology for University Information Technology Services.

Gunkle said some users were unable to receive messages being sent to them, but UITS did not receive any support calls about issues with the sending of emails.

An IT Notice was issued by UITS entitled "Difficulties sending email to student email accounts" about the situation.

The notice included an alert issued for all IU campuses, and listed the affected services as Umail and Gmail at IU.

"Some users are experiencing difficulties contacting student email accounts," the notice reads. "Administrators are working to restore service. Students whose accounts are affected are encouraged to contact their campus Support Center for assistance updating their email forwarding."

An email from IU on Tuesday night announced administrators has restored service to normal by 7 p.m. Tuesday.

While the email service was affected, some students were still able to receive emails sent to their affected accounts by going to One.IU and changing their email management settings to forward emails to a different email address. 

UITS said departments or individuals who sent important emails to students between 1 p.m. EST Friday, June 22, and 12 p.m. EST Tuesday, June 26, should consider resending those messages for which they received a failure to send notification.