Shooting reported at Noblesville West Middle School, suspect in custody

Reports of a school shooter led to Noblesville West Middle School being locked down Friday morning. 

Noblesville Police Chief Kevin Jowitt said at a press conference Friday morning there are two victims from the shooting, one an adult teacher and the other a student. He said they have been transported to IU Health-Methodist Hospital and Riley Hospital in Indianapolis. 

Jowitt said a male student at the middle school has been detained and police believe he is the suspect. He also said he believed the middle school had been cleared and the investigative process had just begun.

According to Indiana State Police Sgt. John Perrine, all students are being taken to Noblesville High School.

IndyStar is reporting there was a new threat reported at the high school. The threat has prompted a lock down at the high school, according to an email the district sent to parents.

Jowitt said they have not received any information beyond it just being a communicated threat. 

Superintendent of Noblesville Schools, Dr. Beth Niedermeyer, said parents are now able to pick up their students at any of the schools, but the schools will also have a regular dismissal for students who are staying in school.

"Their children are safe and will continue the day as planned," Niedermeyer said.

Indiana State Teachers Association President Teresa Meredith released a statement Friday morning about the school shooting.

"Our hearts go out to the students, educators, families and community members of Noblesville who this morning faced a senseless act of gun violence at Noblesville West Middle School," part of the statement read. "This national crisis has landed in our backyard. We all have a responsibility to keep our kids safe from violence, and it’s unconscionable that they live in fear that one day their school may be next. When is enough, enough?"

For reaction from Indiana lawmakers and leaders go here.

This story will be updated.