crime & courts

Juvenile reports being raped by three juvenile males

A 17-year-old girl reported to police Tuesday she had been raped by three 17-year-old boys at approximately 2 a.m. the same day.

The girl had been using Snapchat and FaceTime to communicate with one of the suspects from a friend's house on the east side of town. At some point during the conversation, according to police records, the girl agreed to come over to the suspect's house and hang out, but she told them she didn't want to do anything.

When she arrived, three black 17-year-old males were present — one of whom she had been messaging — along with an 11-year-old. She knew two of the 17-year-olds personally and knew the other one by first name only. She did not know the 11-year-old, according to police.

The three boys then took her up to a room where they raped her.

The girl returned at approximately 5 a.m. to her friend's house, where she was staying the night, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said. Later that morning, the girl's friend noticed she had been crying and convinced her to talk about the rape and to go to IU Health Bloomington Hospital. 

Kellams said the mother of the girl met them at the hospital and that's when the police were contacted.

BPD is looking for the three suspects, Kellams said, and the case will remain active.