crime & courts bloomington

Weekend blotter: sexual assault, neglect and attempted truck theft

Two women report sexual assault

Neighbors told police a 49-year-old woman stood outside of a building crying and asking for someone to call 911 Friday night.

The woman told officers she was trying to sleep outside of a building on South Westplex Avenue when a man she didn’t know sexually assaulted her. She was transported to the emergency room.

This case remains under investigation.

In an unrelated incident, a different woman came to the Bloomington Police Department on Saturday evening to report a prior sexual assault.

The 19-year-old woman told police she was assaulted by a friend who does not live in Bloomington in late October. She reported waking up to him two nights in a row as he vaginally assaulted her with his hands.

She is not pursuing charges, according to police.

Man who barricaded himself in room charged with neglect

Bloomington man Justin Brown, 29, was arrested Saturday evening after allegedly punching a man and barricading himself in a room to escape police.

A man was at Broadview Park with his daughter when he reported seeing Brown apparently drunk and asking children to get in his car.

Police later determined the children, 2 and 6 years old, were Brown’s. The man who called the police reported he told Brown he shouldn’t be around children when he is drunk. 

Brown then allegedly punched the man in the face and pushed over the motor scooter where the other man’s 7-year-old daughter sat, causing her to fall and scrape her knee.

Brown then left in his car with his two children. Officers found him with his kids barricaded in the bedroom of a house where he did not live.

He was reportedly uncooperative with police and refused to let go of his kids as officers broke into the room. The door hit the man's daughter when police burst in, which officers said would not have happened if the man cooperated.

Brown is charged with battery, aggravated battery, neglect of a dependent, resisting law enforcement, criminal mischief and driving while suspended.

He has been charged before — twice with drunken driving, twice with domestic battery and once with battery.

Attempted truck theft causes damage

An attempt to hot-wire a Chevrolet pickup resulted in damage to the truck’s steering column and ignition, police said.

The truck’s owner reported the truck was parked outside of an apartment on South Basswood Drive when someone tried to steal it.