Support the Indiana Daily Student to beat Purdue's student newspaper, the Exponent, through making a donation to the IDS Legacy Fund! Whichever publication raises more money before the Purdue v. IU football game Nov. 26 "wins" the challenge, but all donations go to support student journalism at the respective publications. To help IU beat Purdue and support the IDS, follow this link to donate.

IU track rests while throwers travel to down to Georgia

<p>Junior David Schall competes in the shot put in the Hoosier Open on Dec. 8 in Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse.</p>

Junior David Schall competes in the shot put in the Hoosier Open on Dec. 8 in Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse.

While the track athletes rest this week, various throwers will head to Athens, Georgia, for the Specs Towns Invitational. IU Coach Ron Helmer said this event will aid the athletes' training cycles.  

“The throwers have their own training schedule," Helmer said. "They were off last weekend, so they are all rested and ready to go this weekend. It’s more about getting the training as well as rest in when we need to.”

Helmer said this weekend arrives just in time for the runners after consecutively traveling for long weekends. 

“We don't need to go every weekend," Helmer said. "We have been traveling a lot, doing a lot of three, four day trips and we just don't need to keep doing that so consecutively. We needed to get back home and train and recover.”

Moving forward, Helmer said this weekend of rest will benefit the team later down the line this season. 

“We have had several good meets and went to good weather and have had the chance to get in some really good performances," Helmer said. "It's been really good up to this point. Weekends like this only help the team to continue to give these good performances.”  

A total of five throwers will be traveling this weekend, including junior Andrew Miller, who will compete in the hammer throw Friday.

As for the shot put event, juniors Willie Morrison and David Schall will compete at the conclusion of the women's event. 

“It was just a matter of who has been performing well at the moment and who is ready for that competitive of an environment," Helmer said. "It’s going to be pretty tough competition down there. I think we are doing well and it will be good to get them in on that level of competition so we as coaches can see where they are right now.”

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Weekly Recap.