news   |   student life   |   world

Closing the US consulate will not disrupt IU students in Russia

US_NEWS_USRUSSIA-DIPLOMATS_ZUM

Russian President Vladimir Putin and President Trump talk during a session of world leaders at the 25th Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation Summit on Nov. 11, 2017, in Vietnam. In early March 2018, Russia was accused of poisoning a former Russian spy on British soil. Many countries have expelled Russian diplomats from there countries and Russia has retaliated by expelling 60 U.S. diplomats and closing the U.S. consulate in St. Petersburg, Russia. Tribune News Service Buy Photos

Early in March, Russia was accused of poisoning a former Russian double agent in Britain. In response to the allegations, Britain and several ally countries expelled Russian diplomats according to a White House press release.

Denying the allegations, Russia has retaliated by expelling 60 United States diplomats from the country and has closed the U.S. Consulate in St. Petersburg, Russia according to a White House press briefing. 

IU offers study abroad programs in Russia through the Council on International Educational Exchange. IU spokesperson Chuck Carney says CIEE stays in regular contact with the University and has not informed them of anything concerning students at this time. 

Junior Abigail Gipson is studying Russian language in St. Petersburg this semester. Arriving Feb. 2 and staying until May 20, Gipson said the closing of the consulate will not affect her studies. 

According to an April 2 article from the Washington Post, in a March 20 phone call between President Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin, Trump proposed a meeting at the White House. 

Russian officials said no steps have been made in preparation for this meeting according to the same article. 

More in News