crime & courts bloomington

Car chase leads to felony charges for Bloomington man

A car case involving a stolen vehicle early Monday led to the arrest of a 37-year-old Bloomington man.

Ardis Griffin III is being charged with resisting law enforcement, aggressive driving, possession of cocaine, possession of a pipe and a prior warrant for failing to appear in court, according to the Bloomington Police Department.

BPD officers reported seeing a silver Kia with its headlights off traveling eastbound on East Winslow Road just past 3 a.m. Monday.

Officers tried to pull the car over, but it would not stop.

The Kia turned around in a Village Pantry parking lot and headed west on Winslow Road.

At least three officers followed the car north on South Walnut Street and north on South Rogers Street. The Kia continually disregarded traffic signs, and officers reported the car was going over 70 miles per hour.

The car then turned west on West Second Street, passing another vehicle by crossing a double yellow line.

After heading north on South Basswood Drive, the car turned on to South Mueller Parkway where officers flattened its tires with stop sticks.

Despite its flattened tires, the car did not stop. It continued west on West Third Street, turning into the TNW Automotive parking lot. The car then struck a log.

Griffin bailed out of the car and ran. Officers caught him in about one minute. He was handcuffed and arrested. BPD Lt. John Kovach said Griffin refused to answer questions.

Officers later determined the Kia was stolen. The chase lasted a total of six minutes.

A glass smoking pipe was located in the car along with a small bag of white powder. Kovach said the powder is believed to be cocaine.