crime & courts bloomington

Blotter: Man reports being robbed at gunpoint Saturday, keys, car stolen from home, assault

Man reports being robbed at gunpoint, police looking for suspect

A 19-year-old man told Bloomington Police Department officers he was robbed at gunpoint while walking alone down East University Street around 11:30 p.m. Saturday.

He told police a man he didn’t know began walking beside him, pulled a handgun from his pocket and demanded money. The 19-year-old told officers he gave the man money.

Police declined to say how much money was taken.

The man described the robber as a black man with short hair and a goatee wearing a jean jacket. He told police the man was about 5 feet 6 inches. 

BPD is looking for the suspect.

Man’s car, phone stolen

A Bloomington man told police someone broke into his house and stole his cell phone, car keys and the corresponding car sometime Friday night.

The 22-year-old reported the keys and phone were taken from his bedroom in a house on the 400 block of East 10th Street. He shared the house with roommates, but none of them have reported items stolen.

The man told officers his 2010 silver Ford Fusion was parked outside the house and was stolen sometime between 5 p.m. Friday and 7 a.m. Saturday.

Police said there was no sign of forced entry, and the man told officers the house might have been unlocked.

This case is under investigation.

Reported assault at Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard

A man reported he was assaulted Friday after another man accused him of taking his groceries at Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard on West Allen Street.

The 52-year-old told officers he was sitting in his car outside the store when a man walked up to him and yelled at him for taking food from him.

The 63-year-old then reportedly reached into the car, punched the man repeatedly in the face and side of his torso and took his glasses.

He later told police he would return the glasses when his food was returned. 

Police said the man accused of taking the items never entered the store, but his spouse did. The man making the accusation told officers other people in the store said the 52-year-old took the items.

No arrests have been made in relation to this case, but the investigation is ongoing. BPD Sgt. Cody Forston said charges would likely include robbery resulting in bodily injury for taking the glasses and punching the man.

Uber driver finds unknown pill

An Uber driver called police from a car wash Friday after finding a pill she didn’t recognize in her car’s backseat. She reported it could have been left there the weekend before.

She also found various smoking devices, according to police, including a JUUL vaporizer.

Police said it is unclear what the pill was.