crime & courts bloomington

Blotter: Man outside Bluebird knocked out, stomped on, Juannita’s windows shot

Fight at The Bluebird leads to arrest

One man was arrested on battery and cocaine possession charges early Thursday after a fight broke out at The Bluebird.

Officers said they saw Ignazio Catania, 23, punch a man in the face several times outside the Bloomington bar, knocking him unconscious. Then he stomped on the unconscious man’s head.

Police also found cocaine in Catania’s wallet when he was being booked into jail for the battery charge.

The Bloomington Police Department officer who broke up the fight said he was driving past the bar when he saw a large crowd of men dragging another man onto the sidewalk. An officer said he was trying to break up the fight when he saw Catania throw the punches.

Witnesses said the fight began in the bar when a 29-year-old man — the man who was later knocked unconscious — began pushing through the crowd and punched another man in the face. 

Staff at The Bluebird said the group dragged the man outside before they could call the police to have him removed from the bar.

When the 29-year-old came to, he told police he was just trying to get through the crowd inside the bar.

He was transported to the hospital by ambulance.

Juannita’s windows shot

Three windows on the second floor of Juannita’s Restaurant were damaged by BB gun pellets sometime Wednesday.

Police are investigating the incident.

Police respond to accident, find stolen car

Officers responding to a car accident Wednesday evening found that one of the cars involved in the crash was stolen.

The accident happened around 5:15 p.m. on South State Road 37 just north of West State Road 45.

A witness said she saw a man get out of a black 2005 Audi A6 3.0T and another man get out of a greenish minivan. She reported the two pushed the Audi to the side of the road.

Police determined the Audi was stolen after running its plates and contacting the owner. When officers arrived at the scene, the men were gone.

The Bloomington resident who owned the Audi said she last saw it parked on South Harvey Drive around 7:45 a.m. Wednesday.