crime & courts bloomington

Suspect in gas station theft last week arrested, charged for theft and separate battery incident

A woman accused of grabbing another woman’s ATM card and withdrawing $40 after asking her for money Feb. 21 at a Marathon Gas station was arrested Wednesday.

The woman, 29-year-old Tarea Hutchins, was being investigated for other charges when officers located her.

In addition to the Feb. 21 theft at Marathon Gas, Hutchins is accused of stopping a 21-year-old woman at the Circle K gas station on West 17th Street and North College Avenue early in the morning of Feb. 10.

Hutchins asked the woman for a ride, which the 21-year-old told police she declined to provide. Hutchins then followed her into the convenience store and later got into her car without permission. She demanded the woman drive her to residence halls, the 21-year old said.

The woman tried to answer a call from her boyfriend, but told police Hutchins took her cellphone from her hand and would not let her make any calls.

Next, Hutchins asked the woman to drive her to the East Driscoll Street and South Grant Street area.

When they pulled into a parking lot in the area, Hutchins got out of the car and made one final grab for the cellphone. The other woman reported that Hutchins then grabbed her and pulled her out of the car, knocking her to the ground.

Police located Hutchins walking northbound on South Henderson Street around 8 a.m. Wednesday. Officers recognized her from descriptions in these two cases as well as surveillance footage from the gas stations.

She was taken to jail and charged with robbery, battery, criminal trespass, intimidation and theft for the two incidents.