crime & courts bloomington

Two women report separate assaults Friday

Woman reports assault on railroad tracks

A woman reported being attacked on the railroad tracks north of the American Legion in the 1800 block of West Third Street early Friday morning.

She told Bloomington Police Department officers she was walking home from her place of work on East 10th Street, sometime between 2:30 and 2:45 a.m., when a man approached her.

The man hit her in the back of the head and shoved her to the ground, she reported. 

She said he attempted to rip off her pants before running away.

The woman described her attacker as a white male in dark clothing.

After the attack, she said she ran toward Third Street and went home.

Officers responded to a call from IU Health Bloomington Hospital just before 8 a.m. about the assault. 

It is unclear when the woman arrived at the hospital, but she requested to speak to a detective at a later time.

This case is still active, and a detective will follow up with her.

Ex-boyfriend attempted to hit woman with car, she reports

Police received a call Friday evening from someone who said they heard screaming coming from North Crescent Road.

Officers found a 44-year-old woman walking down the road who said her 41-year-old ex-boyfriend showed up at her residence around 4 p.m. to talk and get some of his things.

She agreed to give him a ride to his dad’s house, but he grabbed the wheel of the car as they approached the intersection of 17th Street and Crescent Road.

He was trying to wreck the car into a telephone pole, she told officers.

She got out of the car, and he slid into the driver’s seat. She reported he then tried to hit her with the car.

He eventually pulled the 2006 Pontiac Torrent over, got out, threw the keys into the woods by the road and ran into the woods.

Officers drove the woman to her home, and they are still looking for the man.