sports track & field

IU men tie while women lose against Tennessee in annual track and field dual meet

Junior David Schall competes in the shot put in the Hoosier Open on Dec. 8 in Harry Gladstein Fieldhouse. Schall won the men's shot put in Saturday's dual meet with Tennessee with a new meet record of 18.70 meters. Schall got to rest this weekend while a few of his teammates went to South Bend, Indiana, for the Alex Wilson Invitational.

In the annual dual meet between IU and Tennessee on Saturday, the Hoosier men tied the Volunteers 59-59, and the Hoosier women lost 74-48.

The meet featured 28 combined events, of which IU won 11.

Notable performances included IU junior David Schall winning the men's shot put with a new meet record of 18.70m. Schall's throw broke the previous record of 18.69m set by Rob Carlson in 1993 and also placed Schall fourth in the national rankings.

Senior Andrew Miller set a new IU record with a distance of 21.38m in the weight throw, a mark that eclipsed the previous record also owned by Miller. His toss Saturday placed him fifth in the national rankings.

Other Hoosiers who placed in the top five nationally as a result of their performances were sophomore Adam Coulon in the pole vault and senior Jordan Huntoon in the mile run. Coulon finished with a 5.25m mark in the pole vault, and Huntoon finished the mile run with a time of 4:22.63. 

The IU men swept the podium in the mile run, with junior Kyle Burks coming in second and freshman Marcus Ellington finishing third.

In the women's events, IU junior Haley Harris won the 800m race with a time of 2:10.46, and sophomore Joely Pinkston finished second, less than a second behind Harris.

Freshman Hannah Stoffel earned the eighth spot nationally in the mile run after winning the event with a time of 4:55.51. Stoffel joins Harris as IU's two top-10 nationally ranked runners in the mile run.

This was the first dual meet of the season for IU.

Next, the Hoosiers will travel Jan. 12 to Lexington, Kentucky, to take part in the two-day Kentucky Invitational.

Cameron Drummond