sports tennis

Women’s tennis finishes fall season play

Then-sophomore, now senior Madison Appel serves the ball during a women's tennis doubles match against West Virginia in March 2017. 

The IU women’s tennis team traveled to Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan, last weekend to compete in the Bronco Super Challenge. 

The challenge featured Notre Dame, Western Michigan, Colorado State, Cleveland State and DePaul. 

Junior Madison Appel continued her singles success in the fall season by going 2-1 during the event and defeated Western Michigan senior Barbare Eristavi 7-5, 6-0, 6-4 and Notre Dame freshman Caroline Dunleavy 1-6, 6-1, 6-1. These two wins improved her fall singles record to 8-2.

Appel has played at the No. 1 singles position for the Hoosiers in her first two years. She also played at the No. 1 doubles spot last year for IU, but her partner graduated. 

The doubles teams for this season have yet to be determined. IU Coach Ramiro Azcui has been mix-matching the players throughout the fall season to see who fits best with whom.

Appel teamed with freshman Michelle McKamey this weekend, and the duo went 2-2. 

A combination that worked well was the sophomore team of Pauline Jahren and Emma Love, who went a perfect 3-0.

Junior Natalie Whalen and freshman Olga Zavarotnaya finished 2-1, and freshman Andjelija Bozovic and sophomore Caitlin Bernard picked up two wins as well.

There were no team scores kept, but overall the Hoosiers won 11 doubles matches and eight singles matches. 

The tournament concluded IU’s fall season, and the team will go on a long break before beginning its season with the IU Winter Invitational on Jan. 13-15. 

Dylan Wallace