sports women's basketball

Women’s basketball gets set for first and only exhibition

Women's Basketball Coach Teri Moren speaks to the crowd during Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 21. The women's basketball program added three more recruits on Wednesday.

Everything is fast-paced for the women’s basketball team.

The team wants to implement a high-speed offensive attack by getting out quick into transition. IU Coach Teri Moren said that’s how the team wants to play, so along with the transition drills, the players make sure every action is a fast one. 

If a player wants to get a drink of water, they get it fast. 

When players want to use the restroom, they go fast. The purpose of this is to get it in the team’s mind that they must act fast during games. 

“We got to get better at it,” Moren said. “We are structured and geared to play fast, and as long as we are taking care of the ball, that’s going to be our offensive philosophy.”

Taking care of the ball is another big point of emphasis Moren and her team are trying to focus on. 

In an attempt to limit the turnovers, Moren has been giving her team two balls, and if they turn the ball over, then one ball gets taken away. When both balls are gone, the team has to do a down and back.

Junior forward Kym Royster said that the team has had to do a lot of down and backs. 

IU is looking to both get out in transition and limit its turnovers at 7 p.m. Monday in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall against Gannon University, the only exhibition game for IU this season.

The Golden Knights went 9-19 last year, but for IU, it’s not as much about Gannon as it is about themselves before the start of the regular season. 

With only 10 eligible players on the roster, Moren said everyone is going to have to play. 

“I think we feel pretty good about where we are at,” Moren said. “I think we are slowly coming up with what our rotation looks like, previewing who will start and who will come off the bench, but overall I think we are at a pretty good spot.”

The team knows they’ll get production from its two seniors, guard Tyra Buss and forward Amanda Cahill, but the Hoosiers are looking for a third option on offense after graduating guard Alexis Gassion, who was primarily the third option last year.

Moren said it’s going to be Royster without a doubt. 

“She has proven night after night and day after day that she is ready to be a big part of what we want to do this year,” Moren said. 

Royster said that her confidence has really gone up over the summer and that she feels comfortable within the offensive and defensive scheme of things.

The five new freshmen will also play big roles for the team. Even though the Hoosiers are trying to play at a fast pace, the freshmen are trying to slow things down for themselves so they can take everything in. 

“From the summer to now I’ve been able to figure out when to speed things up and when to slow things down,” freshman guard Bendu Yeaney said. “We know we have to grow up early which puts some pressure on us but it’s exciting at the same time because it’s the first time we’ll be playing in college.”

The exhibition is ALS awareness night for the women's basketball program and it is free admission for those who want to attend.