sports volleyball

IU volleyball signs three new recruits

Sports Filler

IU volleyball had three recruits sign their national letter of intent today to play for the Hoosiers.

Outside hitter Breana Edwards from Rainier High School in Rainier, Oregon, committed to IU after a breakout senior season. The six-foot-two-inch outside hitter finished her senior campaign with 652 kills and a hitting percentage of .460. 

In her four years, she tallied up 1,599 kills and maintained a .422 hitting percentage. She also had 105 blocks in her final season. Edwards looks to add more defense at the net and to be a high-percentage hitter for the Hoosiers. 

Setter Courtney Buzzerio from Chino Hills, California, also committed. Buzzerio is the younger sister of Iowa sophomore outside hitter Meghan Buzzerio. 

IU’s two setters this year are freshman Nitzan Lasry and sophomore Victoria Brisack. Brisack has gotten most of the playing time this year at setter and is one of the smaller setters in the Big Ten conference. 

That being said, Buzzerio looks to use her six-foot-five-inch frame and passing ability to give IU a bigger presence with setting teammates up and blocking at the net.

Even though Brisack has established herself as the setter for the team, Buzzerio is versatile and has experience at right-side hitter. She can use her size to give the Hoosiers an offensive attack. 

Lastly, middle blocker Lexi Johnson from Notre Dame Preparatory High School in Scottsdale, Arizona, also signed with IU. Johnson stands at six feet four inches tall, which would make her the tallest player on the IU roster this season.

Johnson is the daughter of former Major League Baseball pitcher Randy Johnson.

She will join sophomores Hayden Huybers and Deyshia Lofton as the only middle blockers on the team next season. Huybers has 129 kills and is hitting .242, while Lofton has 177 kills and is hitting .326. Johnson will look to accompany the two and make a similar impact for the team.

This season the Hoosiers only have five players over six feet tall out of the 16 players on the team. These three incoming freshmen are all over six feet tall and will give IU more height against Big Ten opponents.

Dylan Wallace