sports volleyball

Volleyball falls to No. 1 Penn State

Freshman outside hitter Kamryn Malloy tips the ball over for a point against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights on Oct. 20 during a Big Ten match. IU finished the 2017 season 1-19 in conference play.

IU volleyball faced another top-10 team for the third-straight match Wednesday night. Despite the different opponent, it was the same result.

No. 1-ranked Penn State picked up its 25th win of the season, defeating IU in three sets, 25-21, 25-16 and 25-16.

It was the second time this season the Nittany Lions have topped IU. The first came in Bloomington, then in State College, Pennsylvania. 

IU sophomore setter Victoria Brisack recorded her 11th double-double of the season with 23 assists and 10 digs. 

Sophomore outside hitter Kendall Beerman had 10 kills in the match, which was the 15th time that she has landed double-digit kills this season. Beerman also got her 500th career kill in this match as well.

The Hoosiers are now 12-17 on the season and 1-16 in conference play. This match was also the sixth time in a row IU has been swept. 

The team will look to avoid a seventh straight-set loss in a row when it travels to East Lansing, Michigan, on Saturday night to take on the No. 8-ranked Michigan State Spartans.

Dylan Wallace