sports men's soccer

Men's soccer regains offensive form in Big Ten semifinal win

Then-junior, now senior defender Andrew Gutman dribbles the ball against Notre Dame on Sept. 26, 2017 at Bill Armstrong Stadium. No. 4 IU will travel to South Bend Tuesday night to take on No. 12 Notre Dame. 

WESTFIELD, Ind. - Coming into Friday’s Big Ten Tournament semifinal match, IU ranked 10th in the country in goals per game.

The Hoosiers have gone through ups and downs this season. Dominating performances against Rutgers and Santa Clara have come with sluggish outings against Michigan State and Butler.

But in Friday's match against Ohio State, IU returned to its offensive form. The Hoosiers put four goals past Ohio State sophomore goalkeeper Parker Siegfried while securing a spot in the Big Ten Tournament championship match.

“Even in some of the games where we didn’t score a goal or it was tight, I thought we were creating good chances,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “Today I thought it was the same. Sometimes you need a break. We’ve said all year, if you keep it on frame, something was going to happen.”

Of IU's four goals, none was more fortuitous than junior defender Andrew Gutman’s goal right after halftime. The goal put IU 2-0 up and firmly in control of the match. 

Siegfried misjudged the spin on Gutman’s shot from outside the box. The ball spun off the goalkeeper’s hands and ended up in the back of the net.