sports baseball

Baseball releases 2018 season schedule

Then-freshman infielder Jeremy Houston, now a sophomore, is congratulated after returning to the Hoosier dugout after his first career home run on April 29. IU defeated No. 20 South Alabama 8-4 Sunday afternoon.

Earlier this month, the IU baseball program released its 2018 season schedule, which features a school-record 28 home games scheduled at Bart Kaufman Field in Bloomington. 

The Hoosiers will start their season in mid-February in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, at the Brittain Resorts Baseball at the Beach round-robin tournament. The four-game tournament features a matchup between IU and the 2016 national champion Coastal Carolina Chanticleers. 

IU will play seven more road games to start the season, with three coming against Rutgers, Boston College and Chicago State in the Snowbird Baseball Classic in Florida. 

The game against Rutgers counts as a nonconference game despite Rutgers being a member of the Big Ten Conference.

The final games of the opening road stretch will be a four-game series at San Diego.

IU returns home in March for a 10-game homestand, which starts March 7 against Cincinnati. Cincinnati, Pacific, Western Illinois, Northern Illinois and Wright State will all make trips to Bloomington during the stretch.

This leads into the start of conference play for IU, as the Hoosiers open Big Ten season with three games at Iowa starting on March 23. Another stretch of nonconference games take IU into the month of April as Indiana State, Butler and Ball State are all scheduled as in-state opponents.

The remainder of the season features IU playing three-game conference series with single nonconference games in between the series. 

In total, the Hoosiers will play 13 games against teams that qualified for the 2017 NCAA Tournament and 12 games against other Indiana schools.

IU went 34-24-2 in 2017 and reached the Regional stage of the NCAA Tournament.

Cameron Drummond