Thursday rundown: Sigma Nu suspended, Lecturer sentenced, IU basketball, "Three Sisters"

Morning rundown

Sigma Nu suspended

Members of the fraternity Sigma Nu gather on the front porch of their house on North Jordan Avenue on Wednesday afternoon. The Beta Eta chapter of Sigma Nu was suspended from the IU campus by its national leadership due to alleged hazing and alcohol related violations. 
Members of the fraternity Sigma Nu gather on the front porch of their house on North Jordan Avenue on Wednesday afternoon. The Beta Eta chapter of Sigma Nu was suspended from the IU campus by its national leadership due to alleged hazing and alcohol related violations.  Emily Eckelbarger

IU’s Beta Eta chapter of the Sigma Nu chapter has been suspended as of Wednesday, according to statements from IU and Sigma Nu’s national headquarters. The statements cited hazing and alcohol violations as the reasons behind the suspension. Read more here.

Lecturer sentenced

Guoping Wang, a former Jacobs School of Music dance instructor accused of sexually assaulting a student, was sentenced Wednesday morning to two years probation. Wang pleaded guilty to one charge of criminal confinement, and a second charge of sexual battery was dropped as a part of a plea deal.
Guoping Wang, a former Jacobs School of Music dance instructor accused of sexually assaulting a student, was sentenced Wednesday morning to two years probation. Wang pleaded guilty to one charge of criminal confinement, and a second charge of sexual battery was dropped as a part of a plea deal. Courtesy Photo

Guoping Wang, the former Jacobs School of Music lecturer accused of inappropriate advances on a ballet student in 2015, pleaded guilty to and was sentenced to a suspended two-year sentence on one count of criminal confinement Wednesday morning in Monroe County Circuit Court. A second count against the 55-year-old was dismissed as part of a plea agreement with the state. Read more here.

IU Basketball

Then-sophomore forward Juwan Morgan, now a junior, makes a pass during a 2017 game against Rutgers. Morgan is expected to increase his offensive presence this season for the Hoosiers.
Then-sophomore forward Juwan Morgan, now a junior, makes a pass during a 2017 game against Rutgers. Morgan is expected to increase his offensive presence this season for the Hoosiers. Victor Grössling

Juwan Morgan has improved during each of his first two seasons at forward for the IU men’s basketball team. This season though, Coach Archie Miller is asking Morgan to take on the role of a scorer. Read more here.

"Three Sisters"

ThreeSisters2_web.jpg
Abby Lee plays Másha, Nicholas Munson plays Solyóny and Justino Brokaw plays Chebutýkin in IU Theatre's production of "Three Sisters". The play will run in the Wells-Metz Theatre at 7:30 p.m Oct. 13, 14, 17-20 and 2:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m Oct. 21.  Marlie Bruns

Anton Chekhov’s play “Three Sisters” is not just the story of three sisters. “I don’t know why it’s called ‘Three Sisters,’” Director Dale McFadden said. “But it’s really three sisters and a brother.” IU Theatre will premiere “Three Sisters” on Oct. 13 at the Wells-Metz Theatre. The play follows a group of family members struggling to achieve their individual life goals while dealing with hardships and failures that challenge their dignity and perseverance. Read more here.