Recap: IU football loses 17-9 to No. 18 Michigan State

Sophomore running back Devonte Williams celebrates a touchdown with teammates on Sept. 23 against Georgia Southern at Memorial Stadium. The IU football program completed its latest recruiting class today as part of National Signing Day.

* FINAL: IU falls to No. 18 Michigan State 17-9. It was a game IU dominated for the majority of, but late scores by the Spartans and IU's inability to record touchdowns proved to be the deciding points.

* (1:49 - 4th quarter): TOUCHDOWN - IU is unable to force Michigan State into a punting situation after several third down opportunities and Michigan State junior running back L.J. Scott makes them pay with an 18-yard rushing touchdown. The play came in a situation where IU likely wanted Scott to score so it would have time to try and respond. Hoosiers trail 17-9 with no timeouts and under two minutes left.

* (5:59 - 4th quarter): TOUCHDOWN - Michigan State takes its first lead of the game. A 10-yard touchdown pass from sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke to junior wide receiver Felton Davis III. It's the first touchdown of the game for either team. Spartans lead 10-9.

* (12:29 - 4th quarter): FIELD GOAL - Oakes again is required after IU's drive reaches the Michigan State two-yard line, but no further. Oakes makes a 20-yard field goal. Oakes is now 3-for-3 today. Hoosiers lead 9-3.

* End of 3rd quarter: IU leads No. 18 Michigan State 6-3 entering the final period. The game continues to be an offensive struggle for both teams, but a 13-play, 61-yard drive that culminated with a 44-yard field goal by Griffin Oakes has the Hoosiers in front.

* (5:31 - 3rd quarter): FIELD GOAL - Griffin Oakes hits a 44-yard field goal and IU is back in front. The second half began with another field position battle as the teams exchanged punts, but the Hoosiers were able to put together a consistent drive thanks to some short completions by Ramsey. IU leads 6-3.

* Halftime: IU and No. 18 Michigan State enter the break tied 3-3. It's been a game dominated by each team's defense, as the two schools have combined for less than 250 total yards. Short field goals by Griffin Oakes and Matt Coghlin have been the sources of the points.

* (6:46 - 2nd quarter): Field Goal - Michigan State ties the game 3-3 with a 27-yard field goal by freshman kicker Matt Coghlin. Impressive stand by the IU defense after Michigan State had first and goal from the IU four-yard line.

* (11:39 - 2nd quarter): Senior cornerback Rashard Fant was down hurt after a mid-air collision with a Michigan State wide receiver. After an injury timeout, Fant was able to slowly walk back to the sidelines without his helmet for further evaluation. Fant has since returned to the game for IU.

* End of 1st quarter: It's been an ugly game in East Lansing, Michigan, so far. A field position battle broke out between the Hoosiers and Spartans, but a fumble forced by the IU defense resulted in the game's only scoring opportunity. IU took advantage with a 33-yard field goal to take a 3-0 lead.

* (0:26 - 1st quarter): FIELD GOAL - After three offensive plays without gaining yards following the fumble, senior kicker Griffin Oakes drills a 33-yard field goal to give IU the lead. 3-0 Hoosiers have the advantage late in the first quarter.

* (1:35 - 1st quarter): FUMBLE - IU forces its fifth turnover of the season as Michigan State junior running back Madre London fumbles the ball. Hoosiers recover at the Michigan State 15.

* (4:30 - 1st quarter): Both teams have traded two possessions without scoring to begin the game. The Hoosier defense has caused issues for Michigan State sophomore quarterback Brian Lewerke. 

* Kickoff will occur momentarily at Spartan Stadium.

* Welcome to our live updates page for IU football's game at No. 18 Michigan State. We have two reporters live in East Lansing, Michigan, providing updates as the Hoosiers look to retain the Old Brass Spittoon following last year's overtime win in Bloomington.