Monday rundown: IUWS senior day, finding a voice, 'L’Etoile', armed robbery

Morning rundown

Women's soccer comes from behind to draw Nebraska on Senior Day

Sophomore forward Sydney Kilgore dribbles the ball against Nebraska Sunday afternoon at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Kilgore assisted on Mykayla Brown's second half goal in IU's 1-1 tie with Nebraska.
Sophomore forward Sydney Kilgore dribbles the ball against Nebraska Sunday afternoon at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Kilgore assisted on Mykayla Brown's second half goal in IU's 1-1 tie with Nebraska. Bobby Goddin

IU women’s soccer earned a vital 1-1 draw with Nebraska on Senior Day on Sunday afternoon to stay alive in the Big Ten Conference postseason picture. Read more here.

Hearing home

Freshman Elizabeth Ketzner and her father, Brian Ketzner, laugh while listening to a recording of Elizabeth's grandfather in Wells Library on Oct. 3. Because her grandfather died when Elizabeth was a baby, she had no memory of what he sounded like.
Freshman Elizabeth Ketzner and her father, Brian Ketzner, laugh while listening to a recording of Elizabeth's grandfather in Wells Library on Oct. 3. Because her grandfather died when Elizabeth was a baby, she had no memory of what he sounded like. Lydia Gerike

IU President Michael McRobbie recognized the importance of University collections in his State of the University address Oct. 10. He said he wanted to expand the preservation efforts to protect the importance of their materials. 

Freshman Elizabeth Ketzner and her father Brian Ketzner leaned over her laptop Oct. 3 on the second floor of Wells Library's east tower. With the help of a 1998 interview from the IU Archives, Elizabeth was about to hear the voice of her grandfather for the first time in almost 18 years. Read more here.

Kaleidoscopic steampunk 'L’Etoile' presented at Musical Arts Center

Darian Clonts, Anna Farley and Jeremy Weiss pose as Tiffany Choe stands on suitcases to sing in "L'étoile." The opera will play at the Musical Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 13, 14, 20 and 21.
Darian Clonts, Anna Farley and Jeremy Weiss pose as Tiffany Choe stands on suitcases to sing in "L'étoile." The opera will play at the Musical Arts Center at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 13, 14, 20 and 21. Marlie Bruns

Aviator goggles, zeppelins and gold-pink glitter jackets were some of the staged elements of French opera “L’Etoile,” which premiered Oct. 13 at the Musical Arts Center. “L’Etoile” will continue to run until Oct. 21. The operetta tells the story of King Ouf as he prepares to perform his annual birthday execution, only to realize the peddler he’s chosen for death is astrologically linked to himself, so that if the peddler dies, the king dies too. Read more here.

Two men arrested after allegedly demanding marijuana, threatening two people with guns

Two men allegedly tied victims’ wrists together with Xbox cords to steal marijuana last Thursday. They allegedly stole a Macbook laptop, a Windows tablet, a PlayStation 4, a Xbox 360 and a North Face backpack. Read more here.